Redhat9 Sharing Internet Connection...

O(V)eGA_l2el)

I have my main system running WindowsXP Pro (using a dial-up modem for internet access) and my secondary system dual-booting WinXP Pro and Redhat 9 (10/100mbps NIC) I want my main system to share its internet connection with Rehat 9, but how?

You need to turn on Internet connection sharing on your XP box, its under network options, and the icon that you use to dialup. This then turns your XP box into like a router, and should feed your other machine with an IP, and I believe that you should just set RedHat to automatically grab the IP, Gateway, and Subnet Mask.

Ok, I understand, setting up my main system as a router and giving my Redhat box the same IP/subnet/DNS/Gatway as my main system...but wouldnt conflicts arise b/t the two or that doesnt matter because my main system is also acting as a router?

Edited by O(V)eGA_l2el)

You don't set the redhat box up with the same IP as the XP box.

Your DNS and Gateway will be the same IP as what your XP system is using. The subnet will be the same as the subnet used on the XP system (you are on the same subnet after all)... then the IP for the redhat box will be something different.

I am having some trouble. Under Network Configuration--> Route Tab I have the gateway and subnet mask entered and under the General Tab I have it set to automatic..is the route and static ip addressses info the same? I need alittle step-by-step assistance. I am new to Linux heh

I am getting this Info box: "Cannot activate network device eth0

/sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found. Usage: ifup <device name>"

when I try to activate the ethernet connection.

Edited by O(V)eGA_l2el)

I have a Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 NIC (in the Redhat box)

Model No: NC100 v2

NC100U v2

What is the equivalent of ipconfig for Redhat, I am using the Gnome Terminal Command Line...I think ?

Well, In windows xp pro, ipconfig gives me:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection ( Im using an A7N8X motherboard with one onboard lan port)

Connection specific DNS suffix

IP info

Subnet Mask info

Default Gateway info

-then-

PPP adapter My ISP (using dial-up modem):

IP info

Subnet Mask info

Default Gateway info