[purchase advice]PCP&C 1KW Quad SLI + Expert, Any Issues?

FLD

Hi all,

I am in the Down Under. I just made a little upgrade from an SLI-DR to and SLI-DR Expert because I needed to have another 1 PCI slot for the interface card for my work. I just realize that my Enermax PSU only has a 4-pin connector and does not have the 8-pin connector as it is the older Noisetaker model. :(

I am not OCing but I reckon that my work involves heavy computer simulation which at times runs 24/7 at 100% CPU load for weeks. So, I need a completely stable system.

From the sticky made by Dave, it seems like I do not have many choices here, unless I have to order from the US where most shops don't ship to here.

OCZ PSUs used to be here but I have no idea why they have all vanished now.

So, I have only two choices now being the PCP&C 1KW Quad SLI and the Silverstone ST75ZF.

Since it's mentioned in Dave's thread that OCZ ones have had the least negative feedbacks, I would like to ask you guys for your opinion or experience with the PCP&C 1KW Quad SLI and the ST75ZF.

Also, I would like to ask the following:

1. Has there been any issue on the PCP&C 1KW Quad SLI and the Expert, which keeps it unlisted as a recommended PSU?

2. Since it's mentioned in Dave's thread that OCZ have had less complaints, so how is the ST75ZF when compared to the OCZ GameXStream PSUs? And what are the common issues people have on this particular model with the Expert.

3. There are also the ST65ZF and the ST60F models, which are about $AUD 100 cheaper than the ST75ZF, but they are not listed. Would they be just as good, too?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

FLD

If I were you I would try to get the Fortron 700W PSU, it's the best PSU I have ever owned :)

I can't say much in regards to the other PSU's you mention because I have had no experience with them.

However I do know that Fortron (sometimes know as Sparkle or FSP) are one of the best PSU manufacturers around and that PCP&C have used them as the base foundations for some of the PSU's they sell.

Cheers :D

First off - I don't think anybody will argue with the choice of the 1KW PC Power & Cooling as being absolutely top drawer.

Their 1% regulation beats just about every other PSU you can find, and will absolutely power the Expert and any other board/multiple video card set-up now or in the next year or two.

That said, there are some things (drawbacks) to consider.

First is price, of course. High, but most feel worth it.

Second a very large size for an ATX PSU. It will limit your case choice quite a bit, so be carefull in choosing.

Third is noise. They use two 80mm fans and are noiser than many PSUs with a 120mm fan.

Fouth is efficency. If you want to have your PC on a lot - just doing very little - you may find that you are drawing a LOT of power (and creating heat) at these low load levels. Double check this at their web site.

Fifth is age. While great quality, the design is old. Not that that's bad, but others may come up with a better way to do the same thing. (Think big block Corvets of yesterday vs. small turbos of today).

Now for ane more great thing - their support. Still have questions? Call them, yes even from AU! They are very honest.

If you can't find OCZ, look for FSP with identical rattings as they make the OCZs.

Silverstone is OK, I think, but only OK and maybe not for the Expert.

Check out the new Tagan 900W and 1KW as well as there dual transformer 750W units. I haven't seen really well done critical reviews of them yet, but I personally like the company for some reason. I've never had one of their PSUs.

Luck!

EDIT - be aware that the Expert is quite a different board from all other DFI boards (except Venus), and have distinct "likes" and "dislikes" in PSUs.

Therefore many otherwise "recomended PSU's" have had problems with the Expert, and those here without actual hands-on experience may advise poorly.

Do a search for RGone posts about this.

These quality brands are highly recommended,

however not every power supply they offer will meet your needs,

be especially careful to make sure that the +12V rail(s) offer a

Minimum of +12V@26A for Single Video Card Systems & +12V@34A for Dual Video Card (SLI) Systems.

PC Power & Cooling (PC P&C): 1% Regulation, Adjustable Rails & 5yr warranty.

OCZ PowerStreams: 1% - 2% Regulation, Adjustable Rails & 5yr warranty.

Antec (TruePower, TruePower II & NeoPower) & Zippy: Tight Regulation & 3yr warranty.

Antec (Smart Power), Cooler Master, Enermax, Fortron, Hiper, OCZ (ModStream),

Seasonic, Silverstone (Zeus), Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec & XClio: Known Good Quality & often at Low Prices.

All of the above are very good PSU's & are recommended.

Excerpt from PSU reccomendations. As shown the PC P&C are highly reccomended. The KW is so powerful that it is mostly prized by persons who are running lots of HDD and SLI gfx while OCing Dual core processor. The extra cost and size prevent most as a full tower is needed to fit it. I didn't get it but it would have cost less than adding the supplemental PSU's to my 510 ASL for the Peltiers I am adding. PPP, yeh my planning leaves room for improvement. Sounds like the KW is what you want.

None of Fortron, FSP, and Sparkle PSUs exist here. :(

There are some Tagan PSUs, though, but the biggest one is 580W Easycon. :(

So, the 700W OCZ and Fortron PSUs are more recommended than the Silverstone ST75ZF?

Those shops (Newegg, ZZF, and etc) selling these OCZ and Fortron PSUs in the US do not ship to AU.

The only place which ships to AU and seems to have this 700W Fortron PSU is here:

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=197084

which I am not even sure of it is the same FX700-GLN recommended. It says the manufacturer "Global Marketing Partners"????

The PC case is a Thermaltake Armor which is full-tower.

Check out this thread..

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55490

Im not sure if this will affect the Expert but its something to keep in mind if your getting the Quad version of the 1kw psu.. This problem doesnt seem to affect the non-Quad version as me and Goober use it with no problems what so ever..

Exactly. That was why I posted this thread to ask for opinions.

I just found that the shop that ships to AU has "FSP Group 700W EPS 12V 24/8/6pin PFC ATX Power Supply FX700-GLN," would this one be the good/best choice for the Expert?

The link can be found here: http://www.compuvest.us/ProductDetails.asp...goryCode=CAS_PS

Guest troisanh

Got the silverstone 750zeus myself and its more than enough for what im running. For the money, PC P&C 1000quad wasnt worth it to me, its a huge PS and over 2x what i paid for the 750.

i ran the pc power and cooling 1k psu on with my expert with no problems .. its a beast of a psu .. fan was a little bit too loud for my taste .. but its awesome and its definitely one of the best if not the best period

I ended up ordering an ST75ZF because it was the only viable choice I could make. Hopefully, it'll be fine for a few months before I settle down in the US.

How many HDDs you reckon I could have connected to this PSU? And how I should connect them based on their rails configuration?

This is gonna be the first system in my sig.

If you can't find OCZ, look for FSP with identical rattings as they make the OCZs.

I'm sure they are good. Unfortunately they are also at least $10 more than the OCZ equivalent at everyplace I look at here in US. Too bad because I was hoping for more a economical alternative.

I'm sure they are good. Unfortunately they are also at least $10 more than the OCZ equivalent at everyplace I look at here in US. Too bad because I was hoping for more a economical alternative.

From what I read, FPS makes OCZ's, but to OCZ specs.

Most think OCZ is the better - if you can get it.