Trying to hit 3ghz

G'Day:)

Ill start off with specs:

DFI nf4 Sli-D ( ultraD modded to SLI) with bios 23-6-05

Opteron 170 ( CCBWE 0546XPMW ) @ 2.8 with 1.55vcore

2G dual(2x1G) DDR500 G.Skill F1 series @ 3-3-3-7 with a 166(5/6) 2.7v

1x 7800GTX 256mb @ 490/1.3

1x Raptor HDD

Tagan 530watt 2force PSU (2x +12 @ 20a+20a / +5 @ 48a / +3.3 @ 28a )

PolarFlo TT 1/2" system with DD Maze4 GPUblock (soon CHIPSETblock/NF4 when i set up in new case) DD D4 pump, 'ResRad' and dual 120mm Black Ice Xtreme Rad.

Temps on CPU:

( Ambient 29c )

Idle 24c

Load 34c

PWMs @ 33c

Chipset @1.7v @ 43c

...id show in detail but i cant remember how the settings are discribed and in what order so to avoid confussion its in basics :confused:

What im trying to achive is as close to if not hit 3Ghz...tried everything that i cauld think of the highest i got was 2.85Ghz

Please help me reach 3ghz...im still getting to know what some of the extra settings do in the BIOS (greater range of settings!) but thats what makes it helpful to reach greater clocks :rolleyes: even though i dont know the bios inside out id still like help with settings and configs was told it wauld do 3Ghz and for peace of mind wauld like to reach target.

I also know that every chip/hardware/bios will differ in out come of Overclock and/or stability with every individuals components but i need help... please advise :O

Does this makes sense:confused:

CHEERS!!

Start optimising the bottom half of the DRAM Config page. Drive and data drive strengths will play a pretty big role, make sure you run 5 passes of mkemtest #5 and 8 before booting into Windows after adjusting drive strengths, then move on to Read Preamble and Max Async. Try to a find a balance of what the memory likes and what the CPU's memory controller likes. If you have any of your timings abnormally loose bring them down just a touch, too loose can hold you back as well.

Have you gone through the overclocking guides...Finding you CPUs max, and the RAM max and so on, once you find those you will know how high your CPU can go and so on. Do a search and READ through the guides...Its the best way to get the most out of your OC, in my opinion of course.

You may have found your max....

Here look at this....http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...teron+Steppings

The average for your stepping is 2.85Ghz....

I think its about as good as its going to get.....which is still pretty damn good.

Have you gone through the overclocking guides...Finding you CPUs max, and the RAM max and so on, once you find those you will know how high your CPU can go and so on. Do a search and READ through the guides...Its the best way to get the most out of your OC, in my opinion of course.

You may have found your max....

Here look at this....http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...teron+Steppings

The average for your stepping is 2.85Ghz....

I think its about as good as its going to get.....which is still pretty damn good.

Thanks heaps watsonte' for info. ganna try and speed up the overall performance of settings in bios as suggested by CPDMF' cheers....maybe a few more inside bios tips, tricks and best performance settings with what ive got

....well i guess i should be happy because my Fatal1ty' wauldnt get past 2.5 and not stable for more then 24hrs:mad: The DFI mobo just does as its told and reliable:D but i know i can go a little further in CPU clock..........maybe!!

No way man. Mine tops out at 2.85GHz. I had to pump 1.6vcore to get 2.85 from my 1.55vcore for 2.8 and cannot get 2.9 stable with any voltage. You're reached the end of the road on that stepping.

Just so you know, it is literally impossible for your CPU temp to be below your ambient. Even with watercooling your CPU idle should only get to within a degree or two of the room. Active cooling is the only way to get lower. If you add 6 degrees to both load and idle (DFI mobos seem to track very well) you'll come up with 30C/40C. Those temps are feasible for the voltage and stepping. Mine are a few degrees above that with the TDX water block (read: better than the maze4) so I'm actually thinking your temps are 2-4 degrees above that. Don't bother watercooling your chipset unless the fan noise is driving you nuts. It doesn't particularly help anything.

Guest eva2000

you need better cooling that water.. or colder water temps as my old 170 0546XPMW maxed at 2900-2950mhz on water

@2600mhz 1.312v AUTO vcore >24hrs dual stressprime prime

Idle temp: 31C

Load temp: 39C

@2700mhz 1.376v vcore >8 1/2hrs dual stressprime

Idle temp: 32C

Load temp: 41C dual prime

@2750mhz 1.392v vcore >12hrs dual cpu burn K7

Idle temp: 33-36C

Load temp: 45-48C dual Cpuburn K7 stress testing

@2750mhz 1.536 vcore dual stressprime

Load temp: 43C

@2800mhz 1.488v vcore >9hrs dual cpu burn k7

Idle temp: 34-37C

Load temp: 53-55C dual Cpuburn K7 stress testing

@2800mhz 1.536v vcore >1hr dual stressprime prime

Load temp: 41C

@2850mhz at 1.536 vcore >12hrs dual stressprime

Load temp: 44C

@2853mhz 1.536v vcore >1hr dual stressprime prime

@2883mhz 1.536v vcore >1hr dual stressprime prime

@2900mhz 1.6v vcore ~54mins dual stressprime prime

Load temp: 48C

note:

- dual Cpuburn K7 probably 3-4C hotter than dual prime

- room temps differred due to tests done at different times/days/weeks etc

- >1hr dual stressprime results were limited by time restraints as quick stability tests and load temp tests.

- just realised 2800mhz at 1.488v = 198W heat output and my Hydrocool 200EX is rated for max 200W

No way man. Mine tops out at 2.85GHz. I had to pump 1.6vcore to get 2.85 from my 1.55vcore for 2.8 and cannot get 2.9 stable with any voltage. You're reached the end of the road on that stepping.

Just so you know, it is literally impossible for your CPU temp to be below your ambient. Even with watercooling your CPU idle should only get to within a degree or two of the room. Active cooling is the only way to get lower. If you add 6 degrees to both load and idle (DFI mobos seem to track very well) you'll come up with 30C/40C. Those temps are feasible for the voltage and stepping. Mine are a few degrees above that with the TDX water block (read: better than the maze4) so I'm actually thinking your temps are 2-4 degrees above that. Don't bother watercooling your chipset unless the fan noise is driving you nuts. It doesn't particularly help anything.

I got temps from 2 different temp montors for the ambient reading and used smart gardian to read the CPU i agree about the impossibility:rolleyes: but im not using a maze4 on the CPU its on the VGA/GPU (video card) and on the CPU im using a PolarFlo TT water block has 1 inlet and x2 outlet (like the DD BTX only better:cool: ) and my reservior is a ResRad' which is a reservior plus fanless radiator like a mini Zelman reserator' also using a dual 120mm Blk Ice Xtreme radiator all 1/2" ID....now with the chipset ive just water cooled using a 'PolarFlo TT' chipset Block to cool the NF4 ( already had block ) now NF4 is a about 4 degress higher then CPU:angel:

Mine tops out at 2.85GHz. I had to pump 1.6vcore to get 2.85 from my 1.55vcore for 2.8 and cannot get 2.9 stable with any voltage. You're reached the end of the road on that stepping..

My cpu is similar.. It maxed out at 2850mhz with 1.55vcore but for me to get another 20-30mhz I need to pump ALOT of voltage through it.. It just doesnt make it worth it for me.. I can get into windows at 3gig but its with a rediculous amount of vcore and no where near stable..hehe..

Ive tried and tried many different things to get it higher but nothing helps.. So Ive settled with my measely 850mhz overclock.. ;)

My cpu is similar.. It maxed out at 2850mhz with 1.55vcore but for me to get another 20-30mhz I need to pump ALOT of voltage through it.. It just doesnt make it worth it for me.. I can get into windows at 3gig but its with a rediculous amount of vcore and no where near stable..hehe..

Ive tried and tried many different things to get it higher but nothing helps.. So Ive settled with my measely 850mhz overclock.. ;)

........Last night i become happy with my 2.8G OC , then today when i slapped in the Chipset Water Block and put the video card into the second slot it reduced my benchmarks on the GFX side of things is it because its not Sli activated or is thathow its ment to work when using the second slot as a single? any1 Know or should i post a new thread on the forumzzzz......example on AM3 with i usualy hit about =106,000 CPU=12,500 GFX=18,000....now im hitting 92,000 CPU=12,500 GFX=14,500( a 4,000 difference in score) using second slot.:confused: :confused: :confused:

........whats mezzzzz 222222222 do:sad:

Just figured out i need to go SLI on the jumpers! but it will only get it @ 8X not 16X will that differ in performance, because ive heard it doesnt!!!

.........CHEERS For the help fellas