URGENT!!!!!!! OPTERON 165, only 1 left

hey guys, i need your help RIGHT NOW.. i just saw a opteron 165 CCBBE 0615EPMW.... there is only 1 left.. how does this do? Im going to buy it very soon.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys i bought it. Thanks for all your help...i really appreciate it. Im debating whether i should remove the IHS or not.. hmm

Don't do it.

You won't be able to return or RMA it if it breaks. You won't be guaranteed the same hardcore stepping of the chip. Lastly, I don't believe it's cheap enough to be considered a justifiable loss in the case that you kill it.

It's easy to . up when installing cooling or other computer equipment, but I take solice in the fact that the manufacturer considered my stupidity when he made the product. Removing the IHS means you can break it relatively easy, so be careful if you do that.

Good advice. I agree.. but with my naked 3700 SD, it was fine.. I was very careful. I placed cushions on the cpu on each corner so my waterblock wont crush it. As well, i drew a line on the screws so i know how much pressure to put on the CPU using my waterblock.. But im ognna see how it does before i un-lid it.. Maybe i wont need to. just like how i didnt need to vmod my 7900GT KO SC. who knows..

Don't do it.

You won't be able to return or RMA it if it breaks. You won't be guaranteed the same hardcore stepping of the chip. Lastly, I don't believe it's cheap enough to be considered a justifiable loss in the case that you kill it.

It's easy to . up when installing cooling or other computer equipment, but I take solice in the fact that the manufacturer considered my stupidity when he made the product. Removing the IHS means you can break it relatively easy, so be careful if you do that.

Well, I do not believe you will get the same stepping if RMA an Opteron.

AMD will not take stepping in consideration, they will simply send you a 165'er.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have installed my opteron 165 and I have been clocking it lately. I have also included my original mark that I have obtained using my 3700 San Diego (SD) clocked at 2.84Ghz, using SLI @ 696/855. The following results are from my opty with the same SLI setup and clock frequencies:

----------------3D03----------3D05---------3D06

ORIGINAL-------34,067--------13,604--------7,489

OPTY @ 2.7----36,665--------14,183--------9,547

OPTY @ 2.8----34,089--------14,640--------9,800

OPTY @ 2.9----37,541--------14,978--------10,098

OPTY @ 3.0----XXXXX--------15,211--------10,255

When my opty was @ 2.9, my CPU mark was 2147 for 3D06. Also, at 2.9, I scored 10,098 for 3D06 rite? But with ONLY one 7900GT, I scored 6568. which means that with an additional 7900GT, i was able to gain 3530 points in 3D06.

My opteron at 2.7Ghz already smoked my 3700 SD @ 2.84Ghz. So to sum it up, my new cpu pulled up my mark by a bit.