[1KW PSU]weird psu problem

edjahman

I have a brand new PC Power and Cooling 1000W PSU. Here is the problem. When I hook it up to my DFI board then the board wont power up. The four red led's on the bottom flash on and off really quickly then it's off again. When I hook up my Other PSU, an OCZ 520W to the DFI board, it will start fine. Here is the weird part. When I hook up the PC Power and Cooling 1000W PSU to my old motherboard, an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI it will start. WTF. It is not logical to me at all what is happening.

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it different with the DFI board? It will start the ABIT board with one HD and one vidcard and the mobo connectors only.

I hooked up 2 extra hard drives and a cd rom. It still didn't start, with the DFI board.

Thank You.

Is it possible that I have a problem with my DFI board and one PSU would power it up and the other one wont? That really doesnt seem possible though.

--EJM

The server version designates the rails this way:

+12V1 @ 16A (CPU1)

+12V2 @ 16A (CPU2)

+12V3@ 36A (Graphics, Drives)

12V1 and 12V2 are dedicated to the CPU. 12V3 powers the ATX and all other connectors.

They include an 8pin to 4pin CPU power adapter. If they used their head, the 8pin to 4pin CPU power adapter uses both 12V1 and 12V2 on the output side keeping all three rails loaded.

Now I find this following info very interesting!

The graphics version has the rails setup differently:

+12V1 @ 16A (CPU)

+12V2 @ 16A (Drives)

+12V3 @ 36A (Graphics)

12V1 is dedicated to the 8pin CPU power connector. 12V2 is dedicated to the 4pin Floppy, 4pin Molex and SATA connectors. 12V3 is dedicated to the 4pin CPU power, ATX and Graphics connectors.

This means the graphics version leaves 12V1 completely unloaded if you aren't using the 8pin CPU power connector.

Since right now the DFI Expert and Crossfire boards are the only ones with an 8pin CPU power connector, this means that the 12V1 rail has no load on it. This might be the source of your problem.

I would send an email to PCP&C to see what they say.

All I know is that Im running the 1000W PC Power and Cooling right now and it is powering the following:: Abit An8-Sli, 1 7900GTX, 1HD, 1DVD Burner and 3 120MM Silverstone fans. It Works great like that.I dont really think we need to get into a discussion about crossloading because you would think that the same exact setup would Power-Up my DFI board. Logically Speaking. But NO, The PC Power and Cooling does not like the DFI board and The OCZ 520 Likes both boards so WTF??

That stuff you were saying about the eight pin plug doesnt seem to be correct. The Pc Power and Cooling 1 KW comes with an 8 pin--4 pin adapter for the 12V plug on the board, so I believe it would be loaded also. Why did it power up the ABIT board with just 1 HD, 1 CD rom and 1 7900 GTX Vidcard with no fans??

--EJM

I grant you the fact that PCP&C units are the very best available on the market. But that doesn't mean every one of them is perfect. You might have an issue with your particular unit.

This one fact might be the cause of your issue.

Like I said, if you aren't using the correct wiring with the 8pin to 4pin CPU power, you could have an issue. You've cleared that one up with your last post.

All I know is that Im running the 1000W PC Power and Cooling right now and it is powering the following:: Abit An8-Sli, 1 7900GTX, 1HD, 1DVD Burner and 3 120MM Silverstone fans. It Works great like that.I dont really think we need to get into a discussion about crossloading because you would think that the same exact setup would Power-Up my DFI board. Logically Speaking. But NO, The PC Power and Cooling does not like the DFI board and The OCZ 520 Likes both boards so WTF??

That stuff you were saying about the eight pin plug doesnt seem to be correct. The Pc Power and Cooling 1 KW comes with an 8 pin--4 pin adapter for the 12V plug on the board, so I believe it would be loaded also. Why did it power up the ABIT board with just 1 HD, 1 CD rom and 1 7900 GTX Vidcard with no fans??

--EJM

Dude, what do you not understand about the information you've been given.

Everything in this thread is directly related to your issue.

Just because you don't understand the problem doesn't mean we haven't given you some options you should try.

Every piece of hardware is different. If two components don't play nice together you've got to make a change.

Contact PCP&C to see what they say about the issue.

This thread is closed.

None of this talk solves the original mystery. The DFI board works with the OCZ 520 but not the PC P&C PSU and the ABIT board works with either PSU.

--EJM