Bootable Raid-0 problems (Maxtor DM 10+)

I'm having problems trying to set-up a bootable raid-0 array using a pair of maxtor diamondmax 10+ 80gb sata2 drives. Basically, sometimes it hangs when i try and create the array in the nvidea raid screen (f10 at start-up), othertimes it gets as far as windows set-up and hangs when i try to partition the array.

i've tried several variations on the f6 drivers, none seem to have worked.

Is a bios update necessary? i'm not entirely comfortable doing this, as i'm not quite sure what motherboard i have! its either a LP UT nf4 sli-d or a nf4 ultra-d. any tips on distinguishing between the two?

If it's sli capable you should see that during the boot process.

BIOS update is extremely easy, especially if you use TMod's BIOS flash CD, however I'm not entirely sure if a BIOS update is needed.

Cross reference the part number on the motherboard to determine exactly what board you have.

Have you ran MemTest from BIOS to ensure that your rig is memory stable?

Yeah i ran a full memtest, no faliures.

On the startup page it says nforce4 ultra , nothing about sli. but it has the single vga/sli jumpers between the two pcie slots and there is some option to do with sli in the bios.

where can i find the part number? i lloked where the dfi website says it should be, cant see anything :confused:

Even the plain jane nf4 Ultra-D has jumpers between the pci-e slots. They are used to make both slots run at X8 transfer speeds (in their default position the upper slot is X16 and the lower slot is X2)

So based on your BIOS information I'll make the guess that it's a regular Ultra-D and not the SLi (as I'm assuming that you've purchased the board used) Not sure what happened to the part number.

Have you googled for firmware updates that might be necessary on those Maxtor 10's?

Is your psu up to snuff and the challenge of powering your array as well as the other gear in your rig?

Ah, having googled the firmware updates it seems diamondmax 10's have problems with my motherboard.

I'm hoping this is the root of the problem :)

Not sure about my psu, am thinking of ditching it anyway. if the firmware doesnt work out ill try that next...

Thanks a lot!

I'm having problems trying to set-up a bootable raid-0 array using a pair of maxtor diamondmax 10+ 80gb sata2 drives. Basically, sometimes it hangs when i try and create the array in the nvidea raid screen (f10 at start-up), othertimes it gets as far as windows set-up and hangs when i try to partition the array.

i've tried several variations on the f6 drivers, none seem to have worked.

Is a bios update necessary? i'm not entirely comfortable doing this, as i'm not quite sure what motherboard i have! its either a LP UT nf4 sli-d or a nf4 ultra-d. any tips on distinguishing between the two?

sometimes my hangs also after a system crash