Questions

Just bought a new rig with the following specs:

Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615 EPMW

2gb G-Skill DDR 500

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

This replaces my old AXP 1900+ with 512mb ram and a GF4 :)

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1.) Does using an Opteron with a DFI board void either the CPU or motherboard warranty? Apparently they aren't approved for one another?

2.) Is there any way of AMD knowing if I am overclocking my CPU, for warranty purposes?

3.) Is there any way of AMD knowing if I am using an aftermarket HSF, for warranty purposes?

4.) Realistically, is there real danger in overclocking CPU/RAM? I am under the impression that if you go to high, the DFI board will just shut the computer off.

Thanks guys!

Guest Kobalt

Just make sure the DFI board has a fairly recent BIOS, and it should work just fine.

2) Burn marks would be a sign...

3) Depends what the HS is stuck on with, if thermal tape, and you got the same kind, then it wouldn't matter much. However, do note that opty's the retail version come with a very good heatsink!

4) if you apply to much voltage to RAM, you can fry it. DFI warns of this. Which is why they make you change a jumper.

Just bought a new rig with the following specs:

Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615 EPMW

2gb G-Skill DDR 500

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

This replaces my old AXP 1900+ with 512mb ram and a GF4 :)

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1.) Does using an Opteron with a DFI board void either the CPU or motherboard warranty? Apparently they aren't approved for one another?

2.) Is there any way of AMD knowing if I am overclocking my CPU, for warranty purposes?

3.) Is there any way of AMD knowing if I am using an aftermarket HSF, for warranty purposes?

4.) Realistically, is there real danger in overclocking CPU/RAM? I am under the impression that if you go to high, the DFI board will just shut the computer off.

Thanks guys!

1) There's no way they would know what cpu/board combination you used if you didn't tell them.

2) Overclocking usually requires more voltage, how much more depends on your board, your power supply and your particular cpu. Overclocking+voltage = more heat. So if you're cpu exhibited signs of excessive heat then AMD might not honor your warranty.

3) The TIM is on the cooler, so if for some reason you needed you could always throw the oem cooler on the cpu after the fact so it appeared it was used.

4) If you follow the NF4 overclocking guide you can minimize the chances that something goes wrong. Realistically there is ALWAYS a chance that something might break or fail earlier than anticipated when you are overclocking.

MY own thoughts based on my character and ethics;

If I fried my cpu or any other component in my rig because I was overvolting, overclocking or otherwise modifying my rig beyond manufacturer specifications, I wouldn't ever try and pull one over on AMD, DFI, OCZ whom ever. I understood the risks when I started down that road, and of course that's why I bought these components in the first place.