Replacing old RAM with new OCZ

I currently have 2 sticks of legend DDR 400 RAm in my mobo but are looking to replace with http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo..._revision_2_xtc

2 Gb - I am sure i have seen a guide of what do do when changing RAM - like clear CMOS and one stick only first etc but cannot for the life of me find it.

Is there anything I should know or do when installing this?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well of course the first would be the basics of any hardware addition or remvoal

powerdown comp

make sure psu switch is off so no power is going to mobo

take out old ram

instal new ram in the orange slots to begin with ( later on you can test each stick individually in each slot individually to see which works best with your setup)

clear cmos

boot

load optimized defaults

manually imput timings

run 20-30 passes of test #5 then #8

boot to windows and keep testing (spi32m,prime95)

idk thats how I would go about it

Good Luck

Well I will just be dipped. That is some of the most logical advice I have seen now in over 3 weeks. Good read man.

RGone...

Well of course the first would be the basics of any hardware addition or remvoal

powerdown comp

make sure psu switch is off so no power is going to mobo

take out old ram

instal new ram in the orange slots to begin with ( later on you can test each stick individually in each slot individually to see which works best with your setup)

clear cmos

boot

load optimized defaults

manually imput timings

run 20-30 passes of test #5 then #8

boot to windows and keep testing (spi32m,prime95)

idk thats how I would go about it

Good Luck

manually imput timings

Both Slots of Ram in together is Ok?

And the timings - just go off the recommended timings like on this RAM 2-2-2-5?

Any voltage changes needed or will the board do this Auto?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Hmm well 2-2-2-5 at ddr400 would be most likely tccd

tccd usually shines with low timings and los fsb with 2.5-2.6v so auto should be fine

yes go off the recomended

yes put one module in each orange slot to start with

Hmm well 2-2-2-5 at ddr400 would be most likely tccd

tccd usually shines with low timings and los fsb with 2.5-2.6v so auto should be fine

yes go off the recomended

yes put one module in each orange slot to start with

hehe sound like my mother! :shake:

I will do - thanks for the advice you guys.....

.... And the timings - just go off the recommended timings like on this RAM 2-2-2-5? ....

Just one additional suggestion to already good advice -

As soon as you first boot with the new ram, run CPUZ and check what it says under the "SPD" tab.

This will give you the actual timings of this particular stick of ram, at a given "speed", and sometimes as many as three.

Although not common, sometimes a manufacturer will change something (the chip, PCB, etc.) ether to improve the product or because of supply or price problems.

With any quality makers high-end ram, the final product will still perform to overall standards (ie: DDR-500 will still run at 250Mhz), but how it does it can change a tad.

These changes may not be mentioned on the printed packaging, but WILL be set correctly in the SDP.

This also a real good reason to buy a factory matched pair of DIMMs, instead of two loose single DIMMs.

Guest caffeinejunkie
I am thinking of upgrading to a 2Gig memory kit , question what would be the best memory for my system and for overclocking.

Gskill HZ is some of the best 2x1gb that you can get right now

the pc4000 HZ will be whats goin into my rig next

Ok got it and installed as per instructions above. The recommended timings are 2-3-2-5 which i set manally after clearing CMOS and loading optimised defaults.

When I run memtest86 i get errors - windows does boot ok and CPUZ shows the timings as 2.5-3-2-5.

What should i do to get stable in memtest? Set the timings to those shown in CPUZ?

So far windows is up and no problems but I havent put the memory under load as yet.

any ideas why memtest fails?

Well that was an interesting experience.

I ended up having to re-load BIOS as well. For some reason memtest would run and get to test 3 and 4 and 6 and give errors either with one stick in or two. I did the procedure above before inserting the new RAM but errors all over.

I eneded up flashing BIOS again and then clearnignCMOS etc and it seems to have done the trick.

The one thing It says now tho is - timings wise I left Auto for most and I get 2.5-3-2-5 where OCZ advertise 2-3-2-5 - no big thing as at least its stable here.

So guys yiou may want to add that stage to the procedure in future to if all else fails :)

Anyways thanks for you help - I now have RAM talking to each other and gettin on like a happy family :nod:

but why is this:

On the sticks of RAM they have the model: OCZP4002GK but CPUZ show them as OCZP4001G - anyone know why this is?