Temperature concerns...

jm76

I'm running the rig in my sig and I'm a little concerned with my temps...

My room ambient temp is ~ 25C.

Comp T idle:

CPU -- 41-45C

PWMIC -- 41-45C

Chipset -- 45+C

GPU -- 47+C

Comp T load:

CPU -- 50-55C

PWMIC -- 50-55C

Chipset -- 58+C

GPU -- 59+C

The case is a Antec SuperLanboy with 1x120 mm intake over the CPU (w/Zalman 7000CU) and PWMIC, 1x80mm over the chipset (w/Evercool VC-RE), 1x80mm over the GPU (w/Zalman VF700), and 2 120mm Vantec Stealth fans.

This is all running at stock speeds and voltages and I'm a little concerned about trying to overclock my 3700+. I assume part of my problem is the 4 HDD in RAID 0 but I'm drawing air across them with an exhaust fan instead of blowing the heat into the case. Any ideas on what to try to reduce the temps on my CPU? I'm comfortable with the GPU and mostly comfortable with the PWMIC and chipset temps.

Thanks,

Jim

you'll have to work out some better case flow might be time for the hole saw and dremil also really take some time on cable managment if you havn't done so allready the temps are way to high if it were my rig

you'll have to work out some better case flow might be time for the hole saw and dremil also really take some time on cable managment if you havn't done so allready the temps are way to high if it were my rig

Cable management is as clean as is possible in the limited space in this case (Antec SuperLanboy) and I don't feel that it is the problem. As for getting out the hole saw or dremel, I've already done that to add the 120mm and 2x 80 mm fans in the side window of my case. As it stands I don't really think there is anymore room to add more fans to this case.

So, is the only way to reduce temperatures is to get either water cooling or a new case?

Thanks,

Jim

Cable management is as clean as is possible in the limited space in this case (Antec SuperLanboy) and I don't feel that it is the problem. As for getting out the hole saw or dremel, I've already done that to add the 120mm and 2x 80 mm fans in the side window of my case. As it stands I don't really think there is anymore room to add more fans to this case.

So, is the there any hope of reducing temperatures without going to either a new case or water cooling?

Thanks,

Jim

well it might be time for a little water it's quite a small case possibly have a play with fan direction and strength i had enough of small cases so i built my own can't carry it and has it's own little stand well i say little it 400mmx400mmx600mm lots of space and my temps inside match the ambient temps

but do your reserch on water it's a good investment

Have you tried to reseat you cpu HS and chipset fan?

Actually I was just getting ready to shut down the system and reset the CPU HS and see what that did for the temp...But first I'm reading some posts about sticking a GPU RAM heatsink to the PWMIC.

Thanks,

Jim

yea that will help, ramsink w/fan is best (it doesent have to be a big fan). If you take your HS off. check to see if the bottom is flat. ( put a drop of water on a glass and then place your HS over it, If your HS is flat the water will shoot out from all sides. If it dosent that means your HS is warped?

I went ahead and reseated the CPU HS with fresh AS5 and the temps haven't changed. The old layer of AS5 was even without any evidence of air bubbles when I removed the CPU heatsink... And I'm certain that the HS is flat since I lapped it a while ago.

I also placed an extra GPU RAM sink onto the PWMIC with the stock CPU HS fan from my 3700+ sitting over it.

Currently CPU is at 40-42C and PWMIC 40C so I didn't get an improvement.

Not feels hot to touch and the exhaust air still feels close to room temp. I'm at a loss here. :confused:

Jim