850 bucks, what to upgrade?

Andrew_e1

Hello,

Ive sold some things and want to upgrade my comp...

Im thinking processor, video card and ram, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions please?

I was thinking along the lines of a dual core, 7900gt, and some non value ram...

Any suggestions will be appreciated...

BTW: I always newegg for my purchases

thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First should be a power supply, that one does not look very good.

Then I would get 2GB of ram then a 7900GT and then daul core.

Ditto on everything. As long as you have that procesor overclocked you should have no problem running a 7900GT with the latest games and should be fine if you have to wait for a dual core.

cool thanks, tho i was thinking you guys could point me towards specific things...

In ordering things today or tomorrow so theyll be available when I go to the US on saturday...

So can you guys hook me up with links? I would appreciate it a lot...since I have a history of buying things that DFI boards do not like.....

600w OCZ GamerXStream or 600w Fortron

Basically the same thing, just the OCZ is a re-branded Fortron that looks a little different.

Thought I'd provide that link because the GamerXStream is out of stock

2x1GB OCZ Platinum

Basically any 2x1GB kit will work thats non value RAM, or more than about $150 USD. Brands like OCZ, G.Skill, Mushkin, and Crucial come up frequently.

EVGA 7900GT

Good card with a life-time warranty -- enough said.

Opteron 165

One of the best overclocking dual-core CPUs. Will hit anywhere between 2.5-3.0GHz. Depends a lot on the stepping.

A little more than your budget, but this would be the best for your money IMO. Good luck.

600w OCZ GamerXStream or 600w Fortron

Basically the same thing, just the OCZ is a re-branded Fortron that looks a little different.

Thought I'd provide that link because the GamerXStream is out of stock

2x1GB OCZ Platinum

Basically any 2x1GB kit will work thats non value RAM, or more than about $150 USD. Brands like OCZ, G.Skill, Mushkin, and Crucial come up frequently.

EVGA 7900GT

Good card with a lifetime warranty -- enough said.

Opteron 165

One of the best overclocking dual-core CPUs. Will hit anywhere between 2.5-3.0GHz. Depends a lot on the stepping.

A little more than your budget allows, but this would be the best for your money IMO. If you can't afford the extra $100 I would not get a processor.

If you overclock your current CPU you will not in any way be bottlenecked. Good luck.

EDIT: Another idea would be to sell your CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU which would easily make up the money for going over budget.

Yeah I just did, so my budget went to exactly 1000 dollars....

Im not familiar with opterons at all, and I certainly do not like overclocking....

Are you sure this is a good idea? how would that processor compare to a, lets say, athlon x2 4200?

thanks

I wasn't aware that you weren't going to be overclocking. In that case, the X2 3800+ and an EVGA 7900GT (or EVGA 7900GTX if the budget allows), along with everything else I've already said would be sweet. Opterons are basically hand picked Athlon 64s with more L2 cache. But if you're not overclocking, than forget about it, you don't need or want one.

If budget allows the 4200+ will be better just because of the 200MHz speed increase, but that said, don't kick yourself.

It won't be a noticeable increase in performance if you can't afford it.

Maybe 200 points in 3DMark06.. if that...