Need help OC'ing my Opteron 165

Ok, I know there are loads of guides and all that, but I really need to start from step 1. I can't even find in BIOS where it is that I change the CPU voltage settings!

Can someone with the same / similar rig as me give me some first baby steps into OC'ing this Opteron 165 I have. Because I'm really excited about getting some good speeds but really need some help in doing so, lots of people are just told me to read the pdf guide but I don't understand a word of it, and it mostly just seems to be about RAM anyway.

If anyone can leave some feedback it'd be highly appreciated

THANKS! :D

I found on DFI-Street some guy posted this ....

My system is currently capable of the following settings:

2.5Ghz(250x10)@1.375v

2.6Ghz(260x10)@1.45v

2.7Ghz(246x11)@1.55v

This was with an Opteron 175 and same Thermalrigh SI-20

So if I wanted the top one for example, I'd change my LDT / FSB freq rato to 250, change the CPU vid control to 1.375v but my CPU/FSB multiplier wont go higher than 9x. Will it change if I change some of the other values?

Also, once I've done that, does that mean the processor will begin running at 2.5ghz say, or will I have to use something like clockgen to bump it up?

no, you cannot use a 10x cpu multi with a 165. your cpu only has a 9x multi

plus, all cpus are different, you can't just jump to higher frequencies like that

so what should I do first? Can you help me get started off?

Straight from the OC Guide.

Finding the max of your CPURAM

Finding the max of each component is very important in overclocking. Many people think they can just up the HTT and be done with it, but that’s not true most of the time because then you might get instability and not know what the source is. To me, not finding the max of each component is like fighting a group of people at once when you have the option to fight them one at a time. The first thing I like to do is find the max of my CPU and then my ram.

To find the max of your CPU you want to take out your other components as variables, so this is what I do:

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio (CPU Multi) to default. Do NOT use the auto setting! Manually set it to whatever your default multi is.

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (LDT Multi) to 2.5x or 3x.

Setting this lower right now will make sure that your total HTT speed doesn’t cause instability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildstyle

You are freely able to lower this value and not lose performance because even with a HyperTransport Bus frequency of 200MHz (LDT = 1x), due to the nature of the HT architecture, there is still enough bandwidth available to transfer data between CPU/RAM/HDD without bottlenecking; and at 200MHz the theoretical bandwidth limit is still higher than that of AGP 8X, so video card performance is not affected either.

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (Ram Ratio) to 100(Mhz)(1/02)

This is much lower then you should ever set this but it will make sure your ram is running way under spec and wont be causing you any problems at this point..

CPU VID (Voltage Identification) Control (CPU Vcore)

This is a tricky one.. Its gonna depend on how good your temps are and how far your willing to take it. For 90nm cores (i.e. Sandiego, Venice, x2, Winnies) its best to stick around 1.6v-1.65v MAX, For 130nm cores (i.e. Clawhammer, newcastles) you can go a little higher to 1.7v-1.75v but always make sure temps are good. If you have extreme cooling like water or phase then you can take the voltages higher. You could also try to see how far you will get on stock vcore first or just bump it up from the start. This is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Some A64 CPU’s actually overclock better with less voltage that’s why its good to start off lower to find the max of that and if your unhappy or want more then you up it from there.

**Important Note**

Load is when your CPU usage is at 100%. This will happen while playing games and also when running the stability testing programs I listed above, especially OCCT and Prime as they will make your CPU usage 100% for sure. Load temps for CPU’s should always stay at or below 50c, a little over 50c wont hurt either but lower is always better.. If your temps are exceeding 50c by a lot then you either need to upgrade the cooling or lower your voltages andor clocks.

Ok.. now that you lowered the LDT multi, put your ram on a ratio, set your default CPU multi manually and decided what vcore you want to start with its time to start testing..

You want to start raising your HTTFSB in 10-15mhz increments and in between each move you want to boot into windows and run the SuperPi 32m test. It will take about 30-45 mins normally. If it passes that then keep upping the HTT until SuperPi gives an error then back it down a few MHz (1 or 2) at a time until its stable again...

**Remember to monitor temps**

Once you find the highest spot where SuperPi is happy you want to run the OCCT 30min test (Not the torture option.) This test is a little tougher then SuperPi and if OCCT fails then lower your HTTFSB 1 or 2mhz until you can pass OCCT..

**Remember to monitor temps**

At this point you can run each 3dmark bench to see if they complete without a crash or error. Don’t worry about the scores being low, this is because we slowed everything else down except the CPU.. If they all pass then we are off to Prime time.. hehe. This is the last thing you will run to test the stability of your CPU . Many people are going to have their own amount of time they like to run prime. Personally I run it for 8-10 hours but some like to run it 24 hours before they consider their system stable. I can understand running it for 24 hours when you’re comparing between peoples stable clocks to make sure they are all stable with the same guide lines but I never felt the need to run it that long for my rig to be stable for ME..

If prime fails then back off on the HTT/FSB some until it passes at least 8 hours without errors.

CONGRATULATIONS !!

You just found the max mhz of your cpu..

set your memory on a dividor (100 works well) and then slowly increase your htt at stock voltages stress testing each time.

be sure to read up on how to OC first.

I just got my opty 165 CCBBE on Thurs. this is what I did:

set cpu multi to 9x, htt multi to 4x, memory dividor to 100, memory timings 3-4-4-8 1T (what mine is rated for at DDR500)

set cpu voltage to stock, vram is 2.7, just bumped ldt and chipset voltages a notch.

then increase htt frequency by small intervals... no more than 20Mhz at a time. run dual insances of prime95 (sp2004 is easy to use) one for each core. make sure it's stable and move on. for the first steps more than half hour to an hour is fine... but as you get higher you'll need tp stress test for longer and longer. eventually I let it run for over 12 hours to make sure it's stable

then increase