My computer w. a budget around 1k

WSDcomputer

I've been begging my parents to allow me to buy a new computer and now that I'm heading off to college, they've finally agreed. My budget is around $1000. I've done hours of research and this is the setup I have come up with. I would love any one and everyone to give their input as well as advice on what I can do.

This computer is going to be built for gaming and to last me through college.

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI-520W SLI Ready Power Supply

AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model OSA144BNBOX - Retail

DFI Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE-1394/PCI-E/SATA3G/DDR/ATX 64 939

2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR PC-4000 (500) OCZ Platinum (OCZ5002048EBPE-K)

2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380(0A30356) 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Tower - ???

I chose the Opteron 144 because of it's capabilities of OCing. I need any advice that I can get because I'm a pure newbie at computers. I am upgrading from a Compaq Presario that I got a long long time ago... :(

Everything comes out roughly to $956 not including shipping costs.

Thanks for reading pals :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me.

Depending on the stock cooler (not sure if the 144 gets the good heatpipe one...) you might need an aftermarket one since you're overclocking.

Since you're on a budget you might want to browse the for sale section, I know there is an Ultra-D for $90 in there...

which aftermarket cooler do you advise? i was definitly thinking about getting one due to the fact that i was going to be OCing.

Also, how reliable are the sale sections?

They're reliable enough, check out the post counts they have here and ask for heatware, ebay, or some other reference. Hell, get 'em on the phone and talk to them first too. I don't blame you, for $30 its not worth it to me right now, but if I had a set budget I couldn't expand...

I've bought a couple things from here and I've been happy with everything, sold a bunch of stuff too and as far as I can tell people have been happy with the product.

Anyways.

I like the Zalman 7700Cu...still my personal favorite amidst everybody else. To be fair though I haven't used some of the newer ones since I went to watercooling.

The Zalman CNPS9500 is lighter and worked nice on a Socket 754 based system I had for a bit.

Thermalright XP-90, SI-120 are still popular, but I don't like the spring clips on them.

I believe the Big Typhoon is still popular as well.

ic ic... do you have any input on towers? I do not have the slightest clue on or related to towers :confused:

Meh, get one that looks roomy. :)

Personally I like any Lian-Li...they're a little on the pricey side but are well built and will last forever.

The Antec P180 is nice as well...

Spose you're looking for less expensive ones though....

I've been begging my parents to allow me to buy a new computer and now that I'm heading off to college, they've finally agreed. My budget is around $1000. I've done hours of research and this is the setup I have come up with. I would love any one and everyone to give their input as well as advice on what I can do.

This computer is going to be built for gaming and to last me through college.

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI-520W SLI Ready Power Supply

AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model OSA144BNBOX - Retail

DFI Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE-1394/PCI-E/SATA3G/DDR/ATX 64 939

2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR PC-4000 (500) OCZ Platinum (OCZ5002048EBPE-K)

2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLAT20 (0A30210) 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM

Tower - ???

I chose the Opteron 144 because of it's capabilities of OCing. I need any advice that I can get because I'm a pure newbie at computers. I am upgrading from a Compaq Presario that I got a long long time ago... :(

Everything comes out roughly to $956 not including shipping costs.

Thanks for reading pals :D

you should get SATA had drives, much faster, and easier cable management

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145082

i guess the price went down 4 bucks maiking it an even better deal

true .. i forgot about the dvd-rw drive lol... thanks for the good catch :D

are you planning on trying a raid 0 or 1 with the 2- 80 gb drives? if not why not just get the 160 gb drive for $65 instead of two 80's for a total of 90?