Debug Lights: What Does THIS mean?

ok, i replaced my chipset fan with the Evercool VC-RE. everything looks FINE, no problems. I put on an OCZ Powerstream 520w, but i think it was a bad psu because no matter HOW u adjusted the rails, the lights never turned green.

then i turn on the system, the four lights are lit, but the fourth one quickly blinks every second or so. what does this mean????

Note: ive tried swapping ram, cpu, vid card.

cz

p.s. basically, im trying to figure out whether the "bad" psu screwed up my motherboard, or whether something occurred when i swapped out the chipset.

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

The lower(PCI) Amber LED is the 5VSB indicator. The upper Amber LED is the RAM voltage indicator. Once the rig has started and been shut down the RAM LED will go out until the PSU is power cycled.

I would suggest that you measure the ACUTAL voltage by using a Multi-Meter now, since you have played with the adjusting knobs, without having good idea where they are now.

Hope that you did not fried yoou mobo//CPU, yet.

since then i have changed to using a stable enermax power supply that the system has posted with in the past....SAME THING is happening.

no post, just flashes between lights 3 and 4, then after about 10 seconds it decreases to only 1 light and gives one beep.

any ideas?

cz

i think the top pci-e slot is cooked: whenever u have a video card in it, the lights flash between 3 & 4, but if its in the bottom slot it works fine.

any1 have any recommendations on getting this thing RMA'd? how long does it take to get a new one?

cz

I just read the the manual and it says one long beep means that a DRAM error has occured. The LEDs say its its not leaving the BIOS.

Since you've checked the CPU, RAM, VGA and PSU the next thing to do is RMA the board and if it comes back with the same issue then its not the board.

But before you RMA the board i'll just say a few things that has helped me.

1. Boot up with the bare minimum: 1 stick of RAM in the highest orange slot, VGA, CPU and then see if you can get into the BIOS. If you can get in load the defaults, save, poweroff, connect 1 hard drive and try again.

2. Clear the CMOS.

3. Jump up and down and yell at it (hey it worked for me :))

4. If its broken dont try to fix it at 2am.

Just my thoughts,

Ben Jones

To RMA your board you will need to contact the place you bought the motherboard from and ask them about their RMA procedure and they should be able to give you instructions as to how to do it.