evga 7900gt cooling + opt170 cool

ayeayre

ok got most of my parts now just waiting on my psu 1-2days away, just looking at my 7900gt the hsf looks pretty crappy and the ram chips are all naked n lonely, a quick search and allready found some negative comments about this cards cooling, the question i am asking is what is a good cooling replacement for the evga 7900gt co?

Also just got my opty170 and not to my suprise i ended up with a crap stepping (i think) ; CCBWE 0551 UPMW , atm im just gonna use stock hsf wif sum AS5 and probably wont touch it in terms of an oc. I have some more important expenses to take care of, but want to upgrade the cooling as soon as im settled. havent decided whether im staying with air or going to h20. Just want some recomendations on both options.

air ; hs + fan . (thinking of xp-120? + and a panaflo fan?)

h20 ; rad + block. (all i know is ill be using an eheim pump)

thanks..

I have a 7900GT (gigabyte instead of evga though).

Cooling looked flimsy, but performed great as long as not overclocked (although not the most silent).

7900GT chips are hardly limited in their overclock by their cooler. You need a voltmod to get better speeds. Ram are great quality and can be pushed slightly more with a better cooler.

I grabbed a NV Silencer 5 rev3 at SVC.com and modded it (ie: cut about 0.5 inch of plastic from the end of the exhaust) to fit the 7900Gt. It is much more silent AND dropped my temps 10C. Quite worth it.

As for the opteron cooling, I like the xp-90 i have. Some reported fitting problem with the xp-120 and recommand the SI-120. All those coolers give GREAT results and silent operations.

I have the XFX 7900 `xxx` edition, also with a weedy loud fan.

I brought the zalman VF900 at my GPU now runs at 38deg idle and because of the 80mm fan it is practially silent.

Have a look here