G-skill 2gb is stable, but boot hangs at DFI screen now

hi, i installed 2gb Gskill kit this week at stock specs, 250 3-4-4-8 2.8v 1T

in orange slots

it passes all stress testing and i can game for hours without a single crash so far. but when i cold boot or restart it will hang at the dfi screen untill i push the reset button, then the second boot attempt usually works fine.

same results on optimized defaults too.

i just inserted single 512 stick in top orange slot and everythings back to normal, no hitches

can someone give me a recommendation, i dont want to wait 2 weeks on an RMA for the Gskill kit if the problem is fixable. thanks

edit: after some more trail and error this problem seems to be related to my cpu multiplier. if i set it to 200x10 it has the boot lockup even though the ram is underclocked and the cpu is set to stock. if i lower the cpu to 8x or 9x then the problem goes away. PLUS if i raise the FSB to 215 and then keep the multi at 9x its actually running the CPU faster than 200x10 but i am not getting any lockup.

the CPU is opteron146 CABNE, i wonder if it could this be a mem controller problem that opteron users are having? i have no problem running either stick alone, but when i run the together in dual channel it locks up during first boot attempt at 10x, then if i soft restart it boots fine the second time(everytime). :tooth:

Opteron 146 cabne is should be a great chip. CABNE is said to be the same as the FX-57. I highly dought that the memory controller would do that. But you should be able to run that chip close to 3ghz. I would continue to test out the ram. Try to figure out as much as you can do to the ram and if you can't seem to get it running proper then call in the rma sqaud.

well i am running out ideas, memtest#5 is error free for over 40 passes.

G-Skill, 2x1024 dual channel, 1:1, 250, 3-4-4-8, 1T, 2.7v

everything works flawless untill the CPU multi is set to 10x any other multiplier has been fine.

right now at 250x10 boot will lockup at (or just after) the DFI Lanparty screen on every restart from the OS. sometimes 3 LEDS, other times 2, even 1!

at that point pressing restart on the board always boots fine. then once in XP this same 250x10 setup passes benchmarks and plays games.

my 2 last resorts are to put back the 1g OCZ kit in dual channel to see if the problem persists, then just resort to changing BIOS revisions untill one cooperates, any recomedation?

If I were you I would read thishttp://wiki.extremeoverclocking.com/wiki/A...ide#Socket_939:

and dubble and tripple check your ram dividers and ram timmings and ram volts and any other ram settings that might not be correct. I would also look for systems that use the same ram and compare the settings to your own. I am preaty sure that there is a G.skill tech some where either posting here or over at xs that you could probly ask for suggestions. I wouldnt rma just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm having this same problem but with 2gb (2x1gb) OCZ Gold Gamer eXtreme PC3200 so in my opinion it has nothing to do with RAM settings. I've tried different settings and still the same. On Cold Boot I get nothing, then on pressing the reset button after a few seconds it comes on fine.

I'm thinking it could either be my PSU or the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty card I have.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers

Guest Retratserif

Have you guys tried looser timings? Mabye a loosen up the other timings a bit. Also 2.9 volts couldnt hurt. If you have a good ammount of air flow in your case the temps should be that much more.

sorry i dint keep up with this thread, timings havnt made a difference for me but switching to 2t helps, it doesnt eliminate it completely but it not a frequent. i still have to mess around a bit ive been running my 1GB OCZ VX GOLD kit dual channel @1T without a single problem for the past few weeks. ill post back later tonight or tomorrow.

ok after updateing the MB BIOS to the 4/06 i was not able to boot at all, but then after clearing the CMOS for 12 hours i am no longer having the boot problem with this GSkill kit, (knock on wood). i am running all stock specs at 1T but i also lowered the voltage to 2.6, and my CPU is at 250x10 so it doesnt seem to be a multiplier problem after all.

so it was either the 12/05 bios was giving me problems or there was a CMOS related conflict switching between the ram kits and only doing short-duration clears(3-5min). it has passed superPi 32m and seems to be stable in the desktop environment, i havtn run 3d apps yet b/c its been way too hot the past couple days and my machine is struggling.

im going to let memtest loop tonight and then do some 3d benching. if all goes well i will start to push the ram to see what i can do on stock timings.