Hard Drive transfers shut down system

I have a weird problem. I have two hd's in raid0 on sata connections and two on the ide connections. I'm trying to transfer big files from my ide drives to my sata drives. The movies are a gig to 1.5 gigs. Any time I select a few to transfer my computer bsod's with a device driver error then auto reboots.

I thought it might be a power issue so I ordered the Fortron in my sig this am for delivery Monday. Right now I'm using a OCZ Modstream 520W. But with all my hardware and fans I'm thinking there isn't enough power to go around though so that's why I purchased the Fortron 700watt psu.

I'm also using nvidia ide drivers which I know have been a pain in the butt for me before. But using nvidia's raid drivers and can't change them I believe. I attempted to replace them with the standard ide drivers and couldn't get my system to boot afterwards but using last good config on F8 menu got me back in thank God.

Anyway, I'm hoping one of you great knowledgeable guys can help me figure out what's going on. And I certainly hope that it really is a power issue. But I'd enjoy having the Fortron anyway. I dig the headroom for expansion for more sata drives in raid1.

Thanks in advance!

Yes it does. As soon as I completed my build I tried to install some programs from setup files on one drive and it crashed. So instead of trying to install the setup files from the ide drives, I just copied them over and installed from C.

But as soon as I tried to copy the movies or other big files over, that's when I could consistently reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you guessing about the o/c being an issue or have you experienced this?

I have a weird problem. I have two hd's in raid0 on sata connections and two on the ide connections. I'm trying to transfer big files from my ide drives to my sata drives. The movies are a gig to 1.5 gigs. Any time I select a few to transfer my computer bsod's with a device driver error then auto reboots.

I thought it might be a power issue so I ordered the Fortron in my sig this am for delivery Monday. Right now I'm using a OCZ Modstream 520W. But with all my hardware and fans I'm thinking there isn't enough power to go around though so that's why I purchased the Fortron 700watt psu.

I'm also using nvidia ide drivers which I know have been a pain in the butt for me before. But using nvidia's raid drivers and can't change them I believe. I attempted to replace them with the standard ide drivers and couldn't get my system to boot afterwards but using last good config on F8 menu got me back in thank God.

Anyway, I'm hoping one of you great knowledgeable guys can help me figure out what's going on. And I certainly hope that it really is a power issue. But I'd enjoy having the Fortron anyway. I dig the headroom for expansion for more sata drives in raid1.

Thanks in advance!

you can use nvidia raid (on sata) but not ide raid..

in hardware..

nvidia sata raid driver (ok)

nvcidia sata driver (ok)

nvidia ide driver(bad)

update nvidia ide driver with ms ide driver and you hdd problems will go away.

i changed my nvide driver wit the ms one and my lockups etc when copying to the ide hdd went away..

to test

rip 2 movies from dvdrom(burner) to 2 sata hdd (no problems

rip to 1 (ide) and 1 sata hdd - would lockup/reboot etc...

:angel:

I was asking as you never mentioned about the pc being stable at stock settings.

Overclocking can do many things to a pc.

My next question = Have you ever ran memtest + how long did you let it run.

Also make sure that all 4 power connectors are plugged into the board.

Don't forget ISSA2000's post,

you can use nvidia raid (on sata) but not ide raid..

in hardware..

nvidia sata raid driver (ok)

nvcidia sata driver (ok)

nvidia ide driver(bad)

update nvidia ide driver with ms ide driver and you hdd problems will go away.

i changed my nvide driver wit the ms one and my lockups etc when copying to the ide hdd went away..

to test

rip 2 movies from dvdrom(burner) to 2 sata hdd (no problems

rip to 1 (ide) and 1 sata hdd - would lockup/reboot etc...

:angel:

Thanks Angel!

Thanks dude, it WAS the drivers. I was able to transfer all the files from the one ide drive and reformat like I wanted to.

I kinda forgot how crazy the nvidia drivers can make your pc.

Thanks for your help.