HELP - Can't get my LanParty to boot

Hi.

I just built a new comp (replaced all the parts of my old one). But it doesn't sometimes boot, here's the story ...

I bought a LanParty UT SLi-D (i think), 7800 GT (PCI-E), Maxtor HDD and some DDR400 RAM + An Opteron 165 dual core.

I put it all together and whenever I clicked the power button, the fans and their lights would kick in for a second then die. I took it all apart and tried my old PSU, but realised it wouldn't fit so stuck my new 620W Enermax Liberty back in, and now it decided to work. The LEDs would go from 4 lights to 1 light, this was just with the main and 12v power cables not the other two located under the CPU. So i turned it off and on again and it would work, but as soon as I tried to put anything else in, it'd go back to only booting for a second, it also sometimes went back to this state, even not adding anything.

It seems in order for me to successfully add anything I'd have to turn the PSU off, add it, then wait 10 minutes or so, then turn the PSU back on and it'd seem o work.

I've got it so my HDD and Video card were plugged in and I can get to BIOS, so I'm pretty sure that nothings broken but I think something is tripping out the power but I don't know what and this is where I really need help.

I tried reconnecting everything but still no luck, and using DDR333 RAM instead of DDR400 (which did work at first but prob cos the PSU was off for a good 10 mins before hand).

I noticed a lot of people have had similar problems like this, so if anyone can help me out it'd be highly appreciated - thanks

note: I just remembered, when I very very very first to try turning it on, I didn't have the video card in but I had everything else in, and it booted but the PC speaker kept beeping - I haven't had the speaker plugged in recently so dunno if its beeping at me. Dunno if that's any help

You need to create a signature w/ all your components.

If you did use only 2 of the 4 power connections then you might want to try w/ all 4 connected.

You need to create a signature w/ all your components.

If you did use only 2 of the 4 power connections then you might want to try w/ all 4 connected.

I've tried all 4 and the same thing happens, do this mboard require them all to be connected?

edit: It's gotta be something with the power, the whole thing can work fine for one power up if I leave the PSU off for about 10-15 mins, then it'll run ok. If I turn it off, then on again it wont boot. Something is tripping it out or something I can't understand it

The dreaded cold-boot issue.

There is a workaround that I've seen others use as a temporary fix. Instead of waiting just turn your surge bar on/off. It does the same as toggling the rear switch on your PSU.

Also try turning the case switch on real fast, tapping it rapidly. Sometimes that works.

The dreaded cold-boot issue.

There is a workaround that I've seen others use as a temporary fix. Instead of waiting just turn your surge bar on/off. It does the same as toggling the rear switch on your PSU.

Also try turning the case switch on real fast, tapping it rapidly. Sometimes that works.

what is the surge bar?

Will this ever go away? I'm thinking of just rigging it all up and having to not turn it off.

Surge protector.

All your electronic components should be plugged into one.

oh yeah that thing =)

Has this cold boot bug not been fixed with a bios update or anything then ?

Did you try turning off the surge protector on & off before trying to reboot?

Generally the surge protector is close by & easy to get to.

yes but it's just the same as switching off the PSU at the back. I click the power button once and it boots for half a second, unless I turn off the PSU for a good 15-20 mins and it might boot up (once) for me.

Is this definately my Mboard doing this though? It's like some kinda cut off on the PSU cos i hear a click from the PSU when it happens