AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Around $566 AUD)

Just wondering if these are good CPU's ?

I was thinking of looking at the Opterons but they are very expensive, and they seem to be more for servers and multimedia PC's rather than gaming PC's.

Are the dual cores good for gaming, I know the answer will probably be yes, but, I have read of people having alot of trouble when running games with two cores. I.E Games running super fast and having to set them to run with one core only. So what would be the point of having a dual core CPU if its to fast in games?

And what are the pro's and cons between them?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Around $566 AUD)

Just wondering if these are good CPU's ?

I was thinking of looking at the Opterons but they are very expensive, and they seem to be more for servers and multimedia PC's rather than gaming PC's.

Are the dual cores good for gaming, I know the answer will probably be yes, but, I have read of people having alot of trouble when running games with two cores. I.E Games running super fast and having to set them to run with one core only. So what would be the point of having a dual core CPU if its to fast in games?

And what are the pro's and cons between them?

Dual cores are ideal for mutiltasking, video editing, etc...

As far as gaming they are excellent, and it's myth thats it's to fast for games IMHO, heck I wish I had that problem...

Dual cores are ideal for mutiltasking, video editing, etc...

As far as gaming they are excellent, and it's myth thats it's to fast for games IMHO, heck I wish I had that problem...

Ok, How bout the Opterons ? Alot of people seem to have them in this forum but are they more suited to gaming than the Dual Cores ? :

the 939 opterons are basically the same as the single or dual core desktop versions (except with larger L2 cache)

The only benchmarks i've seen where the L2 cache is useful is DOOM3, but it dosen't hurt to have more :)

Basically opterons go through more stress testing by AMD before they decide what speed to run them. This means that a 1.8Ghz Opteron should theoretically outlive a 1.8ghz Athlon64.

Basically opterons go through more stress testing by AMD before they decide what speed to run them. This means that a 1.8Ghz Opteron should theoretically outlive a 1.8ghz Athlon64.

So, an Opteron is just a high quality overclocked Athlon 64 ?

Have been reading reviews and overclocking reviews on the Opteron 170 and they seem to be awsome CPU's so I have decided to go with one of these for an upgrade.