Help newb figure out BIOS flashing

I understand how to use Diamond Flash, and Winflash seems pretty straight forward, but how do I use a simple .bin file to flash?

For example:

I downloaded the 704-2BTA BIOS, unzipped it, and it only contains the 704-2BTA.bin file.

Do I just put it on a floppy, boot to DOS, and type the commands?

I thought there needed to be some kind of .exe file on the floppy too?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Hayes

If you DL the .exe file, it is self extractor file. All you need is the Floppy disk formatted( w/o system) and double click on the file. It will write the image to the floppy and will load automatically to the BIOS when you restart, no coding to worry about. Almost as easy as the CD.

Sorry, no self extracting 704-2BTA. Use AWARD Flash.

Thanks for the bootable CD info.

I believe you when you say that flashing from the CD is easy, but making the CD appears to be a helluva lot more involved than creating and flashing from a floppy.

I don't have any plans to tweak enough to be switching BIOSes very often at all. If I did, I would certainly get going on the bootable CD.

In the meantime, I'm just trying to be prepared with a couple BIOS options if my initial build runs into problems. I plan on having the newest DFI BIOS (NF4LD406) and the 704-2BTA BIOS on hand to flash if I have trouble getting the 2x1gb OCZ Platinum up and running smoothly.

I figured that a couple bootable floppies would do the trick.

...of course, I'm completely new to this whole process and don't really know jack...

Hayes