Okay..I'm a little PO'ed

the_vandyl

i am moving as we speak and the friggin office stores (Staple, Office Max, Office Depot...yada yada, yada) do not have . in stock for L-shaped computer desks..i need big, like 72" plus on width, i have three PC's and i usually end up working on OPPC's at a pretty steady rate...so maybe it's time i switched to a large lan station.....or build my own (ughhh) :shake: I mean, i can do it, i have some carpentry skills, but.....that takes time that i do not have..i work 60+ hours a week..swing shift...so i am usually spent on my days off...it may be my only solution though

any suggestions, ideas or thoughts are welcomed

choose a space in the corner of your room/office measure the height you want your desk to be. snap a level line across the wall at the specific height you want your desk(i tend to go 33-36 inches...really depends on what i want underneath). repeat this line for the adjecent wall. now you locate the studds and screw a 2x2 or 2x4 along the line you snapped. take 2 wooden doors dont have to get nothing expencive. a cheap one will do. place them on the rails you screwed into the wall. adding a leg on each end of the "L" shape with a 1x6 plank mabee about a foot long to fasten the two doors together in the corner will produce a pretty sturdy/cheap desk.its not the looks thats impressive. but the fact that it takes about 15 min of time to make, and thats handy. ive made tons of these cheapy desks in just about every home ive ever lived in. theyre sturdy and a quick install/removal.

and the 3 inch holes that are meant for the door knob assembly are handy for feeding cables through. i make it so they are close to the wall. these desks are ock solid. and you dont have to worry about messing them up. i find that over time they sorta turn into a note pad of sorts. but thats up to your own taste. hell, you might be the type that wants to have them stained so they look all spiffy or something. as for me i prefe functionality. and a desk thats as deep as a standard doorway and just as long is fairly functional. especially if its 2 doors in an L shape.

well..this house is about 6 months old...wish i would have done that at my old place...here is what i was working with then...as you can see, it's a bit crammed and my Wacom tablet takes up a whole lot of space..i also hate having my PC's low..they collect much more dust that way....

Personally I use a countertop and some filing cabinets. Countertops aren't very expensive at Lowes/Menards/Home Depot - 8 footer is probably around $60. I like having lots of space to spread out any work I need to do, I'd think it'd work well for you.

Could opt to build some shelves instead of the filing cabinets, I prefer hiding my junk in drawers though.

By the way that pic was technically too big...

ya i see your predicament. not wanting to put screws i a nice wall like that. Hears my next best IDEA:

ok this is a spuper crude drawing but as you can see its still fairly simple. toughest thing is the 45 degree cut on the 2x4s for lateral support. or you can be lazy(like me) and just screw them into the outside of the frame rather than the inside)

hears a sloppy scetch ty MS paint.

desk.jpg

another good idea. ive done that before as well. super cheap method. only thing to rember is to make sure you got filing cabinets the right height. and use wood screws to fasten the countertop in place. dont want stuff getting knocked out from under it.

that's actually a pic of my old place, the wall on my new place kicks out about 8 inches and is virgin...hence me trying to keep it that way...nevertheless, great ideas so far...the countertop thing has been an option i am also looking into...but i need depth...30-36"

standard blak filing double drawer cabnets should work then.

I recommend getting the heavier duty "office" variants instead of picking sometihng up nat Target if you go this route...some of those things are just so incredibly cheap its a wonder they hold up their own weight. As for depth, there should be a pretty decent selection to choose from with varying depths, mines around 30" or so and I think is pretty standard.