New Mobo Install, XP boot problems

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have not tried updating bios, might have to try that after I back up my big harddrive. Did try another optical, did have all four power connectors on the board, and did try another psu. So after all of this, you can see where my fryustration would come from. I m going to email dfi's support techs while I m waiting for my new burner to come in in the mean time, and if they cant give me any options, then I guess i ll go from there. Thanks again everyone, will update when there is some actual progress.

i had the exact same problem...

I have a DFI LP Ultra-D and a WD Raptor 74GB

I got mine to work by doing this:

1. Plug your hdd to your sata1 connector

2. Download an flash your bios with this: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/N4D623-3.zip

3. Make a F6 floppy disk with this: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/NF4%20RAID%20F6.ZIP)

4. i'm not at all sure if this is needed, but...

BIOS-> Integrated P.... -> Raid config -> Enable raid and enable for sata1

create a raid array (F10 during bootup) with mode job (spanning) (clear data, and boot set to yes)

the boot thing is done by first pressing enter and then B. It's written clearly.

5. Diable all things that are not needed like firewire, lan etc. from BIOS

6. Unplug all other "drives" except: the HDD,CD/DVD and Floppy

7. Install windows, do a full format.

8. Then after you have your windows running, plug the other things back.

Hope this'll work! After all the . that you've been through.

(sorry for my bad english)

PM me about the result!

and if i've done something stupid, please correct me.

two things, A, I dont have a sata drive, and B I m really nervous about doing ab ios flash as I already ruined a 2 month old evga 6800. I m RMAing the board back to new egg for a new one, as the DFI tech support guy recommened, and if that doesnt work, maybe I will try your idea. Thanks.

Where can I find info about doing a bios flash? Would kinda like to read up about it.

what is your bios date ?

you can just try it following the build guide here

one drive and install OS then connect everything else -

it should work -- i have the same board

but if DFI says RMA - then send it back - get a fresh one -

just may be a bad one --

yeah, I followed the build guide and that didnt help the problem. SO I m shipping iot out tommorrow and will get a new one. Who knows, defects and problems do happen. Like I said before, if they send me a new one and I m having the same problems, then I guess I ll have to do a bios flash or something, we ll see. Either way, I want a dfi board. After browsing through the bios, all I can say is wow! I m so excited to really see what my cpu can do now.

ok, thank you everyone for all your help and patience with me. I finally grew some cajones and tried a bios flash before sending it out. The first couple I tried didnt work, but the latest one the 6/23/06 one finally got windows to load, so I m in the middle of a full format right now and we will see, I m very excited! Thank you so much again, and I will post up the results very soon

OK, well, I m jsut sending this board back. Everything went well, I was able to do a full install of xp, it booted and everything. Then i put the mobo in the case, added the drives, and back to the same "cannot load os" message. Took it back down to jsut the basic drive that were on it when I did the xp install, no luck, did a couple of full formats and nothing worked so oh well, we ll see when the new boarsd comes in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, probably too late for you, but since this is a problem that has plagued me, I figured others might like to see the way I solved it (and all other possible ways I have tried ;))

The problem seems to be something to do with NTFS when you try to install on a drive that has already been used on another machine. It seems to occur randomly (although it happened to me each and every time I tried installing a hard disk that had previously been used ~ albeit the old motherboard seemed to be causing horrible boot corruption issues) anyway, heres the things to try:

1)in the bios, select the hard drive you are booting from and change it from auto to 'large' , if this fails, try 'lba'. This seems to fix the problem in the majority of cases. (worked once for me, other time I had to to 2) as well)

2)corrupted mbr etc, need to be erased by win98se fdisk. Xp cant do the job properly for some reason in some situation, in my experience it has to be the proper fdisk, not the free version thats available somewhere.

Pain in the arse that it is, its a floppy drive job, http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm download, format floppy, install, reboot (set floppy to boot first obviously), type fdisk, run through and remove all partitions (it will probably be a non dos partition or something) reboot into it to check its gone. If you have set to 'large' (as in 1)) windows should now take.

3)some people suggested using recovery console and fixboot, and fix mbr on the partially installed effort, personally I didnt get round to this cos the above worked for me.

4)run chkdsk, either in windows or recovery console (chkdsk /r)

5)if you are trying an ide drive, supposedly older cables can cause this.. I was using a crappy old cable on mine so I switched to a new one (dont know if this solved it or the above solutions)

The problem is highly unlikely to be either the bios or the motherboard. This problem is pretty common, and its most likely to be crappy xp..

what worked for me was:

1)chkdsk /r (i did this from windows in another disk)

2)changed ide cables

3)set to 'large' in bios

4)win98 se fdisk

5)install windows and gasp in amazement as it finally works after about 10 hrs of messing around. :)

First thing to try is setting to 'large' in the bios, as this is most likely the problem.

Hope this saves some other people some time :)

bob