How can I flash the BIOS on a dead PCI-E Gfx card?

New problem so I thought I'd try it in a new thread/title:

I have a dead PCI-E video card (BIOS needs reflashing)

When I remove my PCI-E Gfx card I can boot to DOS/Win using my PCI vga card. With my PCI-E card installed, it hangs with 1 LED (presumably since the 6800GT firmware is crapt). I can't do the reflash because the sys hangs when the PCI-E card is inserted.

In the BIOS, I have 'Display Init' set to PCI. But it still hangs. How can I force the BIOS to post using the PCI card, instead of the PCI-E?

TIA

Have you tried both PCI-E slots yet? What did you do to that card, if you don't mind me asking? Tried flashing the Ultra bios? :)

Yah I tried booting to the PCI card with it the PCI-E in the top slot, and then later tried with PCI-E in the bottom slot. Do you think I should try a different PCI slot for the vga card? Its in the bottom-most now.

Here is the long story:

I have a 7800GT in another system. I was having some problems, and the eVGA guys said to update the BIOS. My (now dead) rig is the one with the floppy drive, so I downloaded the eVGA 7800GT BIOS update onto this system. I got distracted from updating the 7800GT, and still had the boot disk in my drive.

On my dead system, I rebooted to install some memory I got back from its 2nd RMA (thanks Mushkin :mad: ) and walked away. When the system booted it automatically booted from the boot disk and started the BIOS update (7800GT != 6800GT). By the time I came back and saw what happened, it already said:

"Original BIOS cleared"

"Storing new BIOS"

" . . . . . . . . . . "

I said "." and realized it was too late - if I rebooted now the BIOS would still be corrupt. So, this is the situation you find me in. To make matters worse, I have a Zalman heatsink installed on 6800GT, which I've come to find out has voided my double-lifetime warranty ... DOH!

Thanks for your help

Yek

You can either pick up a cheap pci card to have video so you can flash the card or you can do a blind flash by just giving it time to boot off your floppy and then enter the flash commands. I flashed the wrong bios to an X800 and was able to blind flash back.

If you have your stock cooler for that 6800GT i would put it back on and request for an RMA. If you can't boot with that PCI-E card (6800GT) in anyway then there is not much you can do at this point i would think. Always keep your stock cooler aside just incase you run into these situations. How would they know you took off the cooler anyhow, get my point?

Hey guys, just an update. Problem solved, for the record here is what I had to do (part for my own record, part in case someone else has this prob):

> Note: the 'Boot PCI first' feature in the DFI BIOS seems to be broken (at least in 6-23-05 and the newest 3-30-06) < Maybe someone can confirm this?

I had to use NVFlash 5.10 (not 5.25 which I think is the newest, it didn't work). I used the BIOS I found on the MVKtech site (Thanks Mack27).

I removed my dead card from my comp and put into another sys with an Asus mobo.

Changed BIOS on Asus to boot PCI first

Got to MS-DOS boot disk with PCI card

Ran:

A: nvflash -4 -5 -6 XFX6800.ROM

BIOS updated

My problem before was NVflash 5.25 would not allow me to flash the wrong bios to the wrong board (NVFlash thought my board was a 7800GT :-( ). So I had to roll back to 5.10.

The -4, -5, and -6 ignores all card ID mismatches and board mismatch.