Why Opterons rule!

olympic

My temp readings could be off, no doubt about that. But whenever MBM5 reports more than 40c I get stability problems at extreme overclocks. At lower clocks I can go over 40c no problem at all. I'm not alone in this situation though, I've read similar accounts on other forums with this particular stepping. Keeping them cool seems to be the key to running high MHz at low volts.

My storm may be due for a cleaning again. Last time I took it apart all the little jets were plugged with some sort of goop. Ugh, maintenance....these things can be worse than a Hot Rod some times...lol!

My storm may be due for a cleaning again. Last time I took it apart all the little jets were plugged with some sort of goop. Ugh, maintenance....these things can be worse than a Hot Rod some times...lol!

What fluid are you using? I've never had an issue with distilled water + Zerex, though I generally tear it down every 2 months or so anyways.

Could also just be a badly situated block, sometimes can be difficult to get flat on the core with no IHS on it.

I'm using distilled water and the coolant that came with the Swiftech kit. I think the junk I found last time was the teflon I used to seal the threads on my custom distribution block. Eventually it should all get cleaned out.

Don't get me wrong, my temps are great. 36-37c load right now and even when I had the IHS on and gave it more voltage it wouldn't go over 43-44c.

My temp readings could be off, no doubt about that. But whenever MBM5 reports more than 40c I get stability problems at extreme overclocks. At lower clocks I can go over 40c no problem at all. I'm not alone in this situation though, I've read similar accounts on other forums with this particular stepping. Keeping them cool seems to be the key to running high MHz at low volts.

Pushing that Opti with your vid card and chipset in the loop with just a 2x120 rad is the reason your temps are where they are. And really, those temps are fine and you probably won't want to suffer the temps you'll see if you head up to 3.0. My chip takes 1.48vcore to get stable at 3.0 but dual prime pushes my temps to the 49-51 range and this chip freaks out beyond 51c. Worse, and even before that, once I start using above 1.4vcore, my PWM temp takes a huge jump upwards. I know I could use stronger fans, but I prefer the silience so I just usually keep my cpu at 2900 w/1.36vcore with an 1100 rpm Nexus 120mm fan blowing at the pwm/ram area.

What are you running your RAM at?, any dividers? If not, a few more volts to your RAM may make it stable. I see your running 2.6 to them. My 3200 plats (that I used to run) like 2.8 to 2.9 when running over 230.

Ram is on a 3/4 divider so it's running 203MHz and stock 2-3-5-2 timings. My rig is perfectly stable now at 285x10 1.375v and the IHS removed. Like I stated earlier, high temps didn't affect stability at lower clocks, say 270x10. But pushing it to 285x10 required 40C or lower temps to be stable.

Slammin, I know what your saying. When I was testing it at 2950 1.475v my PWMIC was in the mid 50's C, the CPU was mid 40's. The extra 100MHz just wasn't worth all the extra heat and stress on my system so I settled on 2850 as the best comprimise. 3000 doesn't seem possible with this CPU, I gave it up to 1.55v and it won't even boot XP.