Onboard RealTek AC'97 and digital speakers

I have a integrated sound RealTek AC'97:

Audio

AC'97 2.2 extension compliant codec

S/PDIF-in/out interface

6-channel audio output

Question 1: What does the 1 S/PDIF-in/out connector on the motherboard connect to (if anything, I'm guessing CD or DVD ROM).

Question 2:

I have a digital speaker setup (Brand Boston 2 speakers w/ subwoofer, digital audio in) that works with a Creative SBLive! PCI sound card just peachy.

I would however like to use the onboard audio for sound. There are (2) audio driver versions on the website: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/dri..._FLAG=A&SITE=US

Revision 3.64

and

Revision R3.73a

I've tried both and neither worked (using the green line out from the back of the PC to the digital line in of the speaker setup).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

As I said, slapping the PCI Creative SBLive card in works, but I'd rather use the onboard if it can support it.

I've tried both and neither worked (using the green line out from the back of the PC to the digital line in of the speaker setup).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have the LP 875P-T and I have 2.1 digital speakers, but I am not sure how much of this is applicable. The green lineout jack is analog. You need use the digital out, or S/PDIF-Out, for your digital speakers.

I also found that drivers are very important. For my LP 875P-T, it seems that DFI originally designed it use the alc650 chip for sound, but then switched to the more newer, but more inexpensive, alc655 chip for production. The alc655 adds auto-jack-sense, but DFI didn't connect it up (ie, again sticking to just the alc650 connections). The reason I bring this up, is that newer Realtek drivers "see" the alc655 chip, assume it supports the auto-jack-sense function, and do an auto-configuration. Of course, since the auto-jack-sense isn't connected, the drivers make some rather bad configuration settings, and allow no manual override.

Walt,

And where exactly is the digital out, or S/PDIF-Out I/O connection on the back of the motherboard?

All I see is Mic-in (red)

Line-in (blue)

Line-out (green)

Is the S/PDIF-out something separate that I have to buy and install?

When I was playing around with the audio utility it let you specify what you want to use Line-out for, couldn't I just tell it to use digital output coming out of line-out?

Sorry to sound like a newb. Servers I know, it's the PC peripherals that bring me to my knees.

*Edit* It looks like the line-out of the Creative Sound Blaster Card (green) line-out supports S/PDIF too, which explains why the (green) cord going to the 2.1 speakers works on the (green) line out connector of the sound card.

And where exactly is the digital out, or S/PDIF-Out I/O connection on the back of the motherboard?

I download the manual to your motherboard and took a look. My motherboard has a pair of built-in S/PDIF input and output jacks located where your 661FX-TML motherboard has its VGA output.

On your board, you need to connect up internally to J4. As mentioned in your manual, you might need to buy a "card edge bracket" which is a bracket that goes into an otherwise unused card slot, and brings the S/PDIF input and output jacks to the back of your system unit. This "card edge bracket" will have a cable that runs over to, and plugs into, the J4 header on your motherboard.

Yea, my old Soundblaster card has a combination analog and digital (S/PDIF) output connector too, and my digital speakers even came with an RCA (normal for digital) -to- 1/8" (normal for analog) adapter to plug into that card. Unfortunately, the Realtek audio chips used on our motherboards don't allow such combinations.

• 3 weeks later...
On your board' date=' you need to connect up internally to J4. As mentioned in your manual, you might need to buy a "card edge bracket" which is a bracket that goes into an otherwise unused card slot, and brings the S/PDIF input and output jacks to the back of your system unit. This "card edge bracket" will have a cable that runs over to, and plugs into, the J4 header on your motherboard.

QUOTE']

Walt, I'm having a hell of a time finding a "card edge bracket" that can connect to my motherboard. Does anyone know of where I can find such a thing?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. The manual doe snot include the specific pin-outs for the onboard S/PDIF on J4, anyone know which pins are for what?

Walt, I'm having a hell of a time finding a "card edge bracket" that can connect to my motherboard. Does anyone know of where I can find such a thing?

I have no idea, but you might find something useful in the tread K8M800-MLVF - SPDIF Output.

P.S. The manual doe snot include the specific pin-outs for the onboard S/PDIF on J4, anyone know which pins are for what?

Try downloading the full manual from the DFI website. Those usually have a lot more details than the small printed manual included with the boards.

Thank you in advance.

Try searching google foa an "spdif bracket"

Section 2.6.2 (p. 37) of your manual (available at http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/661fx-tml%2084400447.pdf) shows the pinout of the S/P-DIF connector.