Boot / Video Problems

My specs can be seen in my signature below.

Problem is this: In my system I used to have a Saphire x800xl and all was great. I recently purchased my x1900xt and now when I try to boot the BIOS "beeps" with the standard ok and the LED lights have no problems. The problem is, the monitor does not turn on yet the card checks out to the bios and the fan is spinning.

Doing a bit of debugging I found this:

1. If I disconnect the extra PCI-e power from the video card, it starts up and gives me an error message ON SCREEN saying the power cable is unplugged. So obviously the card CAN output to the screen.

2. When I plug the power back in, same deal, black screen, monitor still in standby.

3. Putting in my old x800xl the system boots up again like a charm.

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas on what could possibly be the problem. I am not beyond thinking I got a buggy card, though I hate to go through an RMA for it.

Is there a jumper or anything I need to play with for upgrading to this setup? Cleared the CMOS using the directions found on this site multiple times did not help.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have also tried using my other PCI-e slot to no avail.

Ultra X-Connect 2 550W Power Supply

PS Ratings:

+5v 30A

+3.3V 25A

+12V1 17A

+12V2 18A

-12V 0.8A

+5VSB 2.5A

That would be your most likely problem right there. They are finding the X1900 can draw nearly all or a great portion of one of those 12V rails and that leaves none left for the rest of the rig to run on. That is why when you unplug the PCI-e power connector the card can output since the little that comes thru the cards slots can give the 2d DOS text message of low power but you smack that power supply with having to grunt the real power into the video card it will not initialize the card.

RGone...

Luckily I just bought this power supply less than 30 days ago from a local computer store. I can still return it. Which power supply do you suggest for the replacement?

I got the Xconnect because I do not like spagetti cables and that allowed me to use only the cables I needed.

http://www.fsp-group.com/english/1_product...id=98&proid=462 FIRST choice with some headroom for later additions and not having to worry about the thing that must work 'before' anything else can begin in a computer.

OR

http://www.fsp-group.com/english/1_product...id=98&proid=461 THIS if you know you are thru thowing parts into the system.

Clean cabling and no power/no go is not as satisfactory to me as GO.

RGone...

Neovalen, testing to pinpoint low power to the video card is very hard to do. You guys are running to these high current draw cards blindly and when it works for some with "x" rated power supply you feel it should work for you. Not so sir. Not even close.

I have not posted much in the forums lately because of the mindset of many. One exception to the general rule or consensus does not make anything a sure bet for the majority. Got the general meaning of that? I hope so because trouble-shooting out of your situation is not EASY. It takes understanding a little bit more about how we got to where we are today with power supplies and HOW MUCH the power supply companies are doing in the BACKGROUND to bring things to a better situation. Not nearly ALL companies are doing in the background what FSP-group is doing. Yes, I did get inside information. Not easily found for the most. Google is a huge friend.

Ex-Roadie has done a huge favor in his many posts related to the high power power supplies and how they work. He has been a member of the certifying organizations for years and has because of his job and skills spent hours not easily numbered following the progress of power supplies. So the short answer is there is a large difference in a couple of key areas that affect what works and does not. Key is that if you went and bought a power supply that met the later SSI spec standard AND met SLI certification standards @ 600 watts or more> you would have been home free. But we remain mired in a transition stage as the power supply companies catch up. Many are not even yet playing catch up. I pointed you to a power supply that works because they have taken into acccount the problems being faced with high power supplies.

Again just to outline or re-emphasize what I said. If you bought or could buy an SSI / SLI certified 600 watt or 'greater' with heavy on the greater, power supply you would have been home free. The ATX standard so far does not even apply to any power supply over about 450 watts and so that standard that is seen so much still on power supplies is actually of NO practical value. You cannot build a power supply to a standard that does not even exist. Well hardly. So it comes down to having to look deep into how the PCI-e cables have their power connected to the power supply intenally and how the newer EPS12V standard has that cable connected inside the power supply. You have to know what you are looking for and that requires the digging that I had to do after Ex-Roadie wrote enough about power supplies to give me the clues to look for.

The clues are ALL met in that power supply I recommended to you. That power supply is new think and works in every case I have had experience with so far. Sure new cases may come, but they have not yet appeared to me. Now you know the "why" of my recommendation. Experience with and study of what is going to work "most" often today for at least this 3 mos period as more supply manufactures ramp up. How many will ramp up? Who knows. White box and generic supplies will be useless more and more today as the huge current draws of the boards; the video cards and the current draw of the new processor comng; do in fact arrive.

What I wrote is very genericly done. I have no time to argue the exceptions to the rules that are appearing fast and furious. Keeping up for the DIYer acting as his OWN personal system intergrator means he better have a good head and do the homework or the results will be marginal and super super iffy over the next few months of new product releases.

Remove every last thing that draws power from the configuation but is not absolutely necessary. If the power supply you have has the PCI-e cabling labeled as PCI-e 1 or 2 > use the PCI-e labeled "1" and with all else not just absolutely necessary see if the video card initializes. If you have PCI-e 1 and 2, it may be well to test also with PCI-e #2 since there can be LOAD BALANCE issues within the power supply you have. As you unplug un-needed items just to try and determine video card function> make sure that the sata / 4 pin molex and so forth supply cables are still using something for each of those cables > EVEN if you plug only one small 80mm fan 'only' onto that power supply cabling. This to try and load balance the system so that a power supply has a load on each rail and allow power supply to "ramp up" each rail fully. If you can get all of those points covered in setting up to test, you might be able to see the video card work and be able to say to yourelf> "eureka I am now sure", but that also may not be the case.

I told you that the new requirements were going to require new skills; understanding and testing procedures and is why I just plainly and bluntly pointed you to a power supply that would in fact work and be needed in the end anyway according to what I have seen and researched. Oh yes those with exceptions to the rule will quickly run to 'their' defense but I have not time for the exceptions but am trying to get the majority of users over into good/working mode without too too many taking of side paths to frustration.

Man that is one huge amount of writing just to try to shed some small portion of understanding of what is happening as I see it. And mostly worthless use of my energy since no one does much about good system spec'ing. It is moslty gimme this shett and let me slap er in the case because my new game is here and I got to have my 'gaming fix' or die. But maybe you see how technical it is going to become and is even already at our doorsteps. Best I can do man. Sorry for so long but I hope many will be able to glimpse what is here and coming and be better ready to adjust to the times.

RGone... :confused: as is my usual...

Thank you again RGone for the long response. I appreciate it. I have been doing my own systems for many years now but the one area I haven't been 100% certain of is the power supply design/market. It's nice to finally be informed better. I'll try your suggestion for a test and then replace the PSU with one of the ones you suggested.

Neovalen

X1900xtx here and go with the max :D I did ..very happy

funny thing have a 1800xl o/c'ed and she is having problems with a new 4400+ with a ocz520wadjsli...same thing she did with a 3700+sd on a sli-dr.replaced with 600adjsli 'poooof' all problems gone.... ocz520w went to a ultra-d and she will o/c but video craps out....ordered another ocz600..'crosses fingers'

these mb's are pOWEr hawgs :)

'frrrrrrrack ur parts they will' :cool:

ya got too LOVE it :shake:

dIAMONDback, please do not point him to the OCZ 600Watt ADJ supply as that supply will not hold up to most current cards entering the market and espcially so if he updates to say an "expert'' series of mobo at a later date. OCZ is themselves coming with the newer style supply like I pointed out in order to ramp up their power supplies for the newer stuff. So he needs a supply today and the 600watter ADJ would not be a forward looking supply for the longer haul. Thanks man.

RGone...

Neovalen

X1900xtx here and go with the max :D I did ..very happy

funny thing have a 1800xl o/c'ed and she is having problems with a new 4400+ with a ocz520wadjsli...same thing she did with a 3700+sd on a sli-dr.replaced with 600adjsli 'poooof' all problems gone.... ocz520w went to a ultra-d and she will o/c but video craps out....ordered another ocz600..'crosses fingers'

these mb's are pOWEr hawgs :)

'frrrrrrrack ur parts they will' :cool:

ya got too LOVE it :shake:

Guys

We have a new budget Gamer range just about to launch, 2 PSU's rated and 600 and 700W respectively.

Rgone has tested both and is sure they both crank all DFI boards just fine, infact he and i both feel the 600unit is a lot stronger than the 600W powerstream so the 700 is really kicking some butt.

Now i can't quote prices, they should be available in 2 to 3 weeks as far as i know and they should be quite cheap, I will post pics as soon as i can but for now the units are black, have fully sleaved leads and 120mm fan with blue LED's.

They do not have POTS etc but don't let this put you off them, overall they are quite a nice unit.

Tony