Help with OC'ing my Opteron

nib95

basically my opty 170 is giving me errors on prime95 after about 2 hours.

It's currently at 2.6ghz with idle at about 32 degrees and load at 45.

This is my set up.

Test bed: (same as sig)

DFI LP NF4 Expert SLI

Opteron 170

SLI 7900 GT

Enermax 500w Liberty

Big Typhoon

FSB - 260

LDT/FSB ratio - 4x

Multiplier - 10x

Command Per Clock Enable

TCL-3.0

TRCD-4

TRAS-08

TRP-3

TRC-7

tRFC-16

TRRD-02

tWR-03

tWTR-02

TRWT-04

tREF-0780

tWCL-01

DRAM Bank Interleave-enabled

DQS Skew Control - auto

DQS Skew Value- auto

DRAM Drive Strength - Level 7

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3

Max Async Latency- 8ns

DRAM Response Time - Fast

Read preamble Time- 5ns

Idle Cycle Limit- 32clks

Dyanamic Counter - Enable

r/w Queue bypass: 16X

Bypass Max - 07X

32 Byte Granularity - Disable (4 bursts)

Vdimm-2.67v

Do you guys think I should try a LDT/FSB of 3x, or is that too low?

Changing volts on the memory makes things worse, and upping the voltage on the CPU hasnt really helped either.

Any ideas?

Also, does upping the voltage of the LDT help?

Should I try 1.3? It's currently at 1.2v.

set your HTT at 4x to begin with and keep a calculator handy

try to keep it at areound 1000 (in reality it is 2x that, but for the math it doesnt matter)

example:

250x4=1000

if you watn more than that you would have to do this:

300x3=900

so long as it is in the neighborhood if 1000 your ok, but under is better than over

set your HTT at 4x to begin with and keep a calculator handy

try to keep it at areound 1000 (in reality it is 2x that, but for the math it doesnt matter)

example:

250x4=1000

if you watn more than that you would have to do this:

300x3=900

so long as it is in the neighborhood if 1000 your ok, but under is better than over

Yea but problem is, how do I get that with 2.6ghz or 2.7ghz?

Do I have to use memory dividers?

I mean if I lower it to 260x3, then thats only 1560 which is well below 2000.

300x3 is ridiculous because then I'd be getting 3000mhz speed! I doubt my CPU could handle that!

Should I try 300fsb with a 9 multi, a 166 divider and 3x LDT/FSB?

I've already read it all and printed it all out, and no i have'nt found the max for memory and CPU :P

I know it's bad of me, but I'm not a die hard OC'er, and to be honest I just dont have that much time on my hands :( 2.6ghz would be more then enough for me to be honest. I know I really should though :(

On a side note, i'm now doing 300fsb with a 9x multiplier, 3x LDT/FSB and a 5/6 memory divider. So far it's been running about 25 mins Prime95 no errors.

I hope to god she pulls through! Because 2.7ghz would be alot more then I first bargained for! Load temps unusually have gone down from 46 to 42 degrees.

Since you don't have much time i suggest making good use of the CMOS Reloaded. Save Stock settings in one slot, and Test OC settings in the others, when you need to be able to use your computer with stable settings load your stock settings. When you have some time to tinker & tweak, load your OC settings that you are working on stablizing. Once you find a stable OC, Save those settings in a another slot then work on your next OC... you can work your way up to your Max stable OC in whatever speed your free time allows.

I highly recommend finding your CPU's max OC. Also, please include all the Vcore with OC questions as it usually makes it easier to asses the situation. (if you did & i missed it, just slap me :))

Also, what stepping 170 do you have?

* and i forgot to mention that the Expert mobos have a known issue of misreporting temps often ~10c under actual, if you added MHz & voltage there is no way that your temps went down...

* and i forgot to mention that the Expert mobos have a known issue of misreporting temps often ~10c under actual, if you added MHz & voltage there is no way that your temps went down...

does the ultra d have this issue?

Since you don't have much time i suggest making good use of the CMOS Reloaded. Save Stock settings in one slot, and Test OC settings in the others, when you need to be able to use your computer with stable settings load your stock settings. When you have some time to tinker & tweak, load your OC settings that you are working on stablizing. Once you find a stable OC, Save those settings in a another slot then work on your next OC... you can work your way up to your Max stable OC in whatever speed your free time allows.

I highly recommend finding your CPU's max OC. Also, please include all the Vcore with OC questions as it usually makes it easier to asses the situation. (if you did & i missed it, just slap me :))

Also, what stepping 170 do you have?

I have the UMPW stepping, which i hear is very good?

Ok, now for the update, 5 and a half hours of prime95 later, no errors with 2.7ghz 300HTT x 9 multiplier. With a LDT/FSB of x3. However, I could only get this to run with a memory divider of 5/6 which is annoying. besides the divider, ram is all 1T 3-4-4-8 with pretty agressive settings. Whats a better idea, a memory divider or a 2T command rate with slower timings?

I have it set at 1.5v, (MBM5 reads 1.47), as it would not run more then 2 hours at 1.45. Going to try 1.475 next. temps are 32 degrees idle and average 48 degrees load.

Though at one point doing the 580000 test on prime95 it went to 50!

Any feedback would be great.

thanks guys!

EDIT: In regards to the wrong temps, mine used to idle at 24 degrees at 2.5ghz, but after a BIOS update with the latest one, it shot up to 30 degres idle.

Perhaps the temp reading has now been sorted?

Just another update, just incase anyone cares :P

The set up above ran though fine in prime95, froze in 3dmark06 everytime.

So after about a million different tweaks and set ups, i've found one that not only runs stable, but blows away 3dMark06 and 05!

For the record, my 3dMark06 score is 8754 and my 3dMark05 score is 13900 (13897).

I've gone with 270HTT, 10x multiplier, 4x LDT/FSB and a 8/9 memory divider.

My voltage runs perfectly stable at 1.425 now aswell.

idle is 30 degrees and full load is about 39-42. Such a huge difference from 1.5v!

The thing that was really messing with 3dMark06 ended up being the DRAM data Drive strength. I had it set to 3, but after putting it to 1, everything in all apps is gravy.

Video editing and encoding seems to be sped up somewhat from the 2.5ghz I was using before aswell.

Viva la Opteron!

glad to hear that you got everything sorted out and are running a great stable overclock.

Btw, which bios did you flash to?

The latest one.

It's the only one I could find on the Uk site.

2005/12/07

Guys, I have to report another issue.

It seems my OC is not stable after all *cries*

(config A) basically 270htt x 10 multi with a 9/8 memory divider and 4xLDT/FSB runs all apps and games, 3dmark05/06 etc perfect with no glitches. BUT, fails horribly at running Prime95 at anything more then 5 mins!

Upping to voltages slowly helps add about 5 mins each time, so far I'm up to 1.45v but I really dont want to go further then this, as I begin to go closer to 50 degree load temps. (at about 1.475-1.5v). Right now at 1.45 they are a nice and manageable 46 degrees. Sometimes 44 or 42.

My other config (B), 300htt x 9 multi with a 6/5 memory divider and 3xLDT/FSB runs Prime95 stable for 6+ hours easy. And temps dont go above 50 degrees on 1.5v (havent tried 1.475v yet). However, at this OC I cannot get 3dMark06 to run properly without lock ups :(

Man oh man OC'ing is a tough business.

What I'm going to try next is 1.475v on config A or perhaps a bigger memory divider. but I really shouldnt need one with this kind of ram! I know it can definately do 250htt problem free. If that still doesnt do prime95 stable, I'll try config B but with my Drive strength setting at 1 instead of 3.

3 seems to give me issues at a 1T rate.

Anyone have any helpful tips?

One I get 2.7ghz to run I may even try for 2.8ghz.

I think it can be done, temps are always pretty good.

I'm sure its just all in my settings.

Anyone have similar ram and could post memory set ups I could try?

Maybe I should try a 2T command rate and/or looser timings?

Stepping is UMPW which I hear is one of the best.

Yeah, thats the same BIOS i am using, and the temp issues haven't been sorted out with that version...

I have a feeling that it may be your power supply. I don't think it is beefy enough to support 2 7900gt's. Check this site out and see for yourself, i punched in your specs from your sig with a 2700MHz 1.45v overclock & it says you need 650w - a far cry from your 500w ps. Maybe try running prime with only 1 video card to see if that makes a difference.

I will suggest this again - take your time with the OC. Follow the guide - find the CPU Max, Memory Max, etc... you will have better luck finding stable settings. If you work your way through your OC one step at a time it will be easier to troubleshoot when problems arise. Seriously, patience has a very high value when OC'ing. You may appear to move slower through your OC, but you will probably find yourself feeling less frustrated overall. It will also give you a chance to really get to know what your machine is capable of and where its limits are. Take your time. You may also want to visit the OC Database to see if anyone has a similar rig and use there settings as reference.