I just got 2X 250G WD 16M SATA II hds raided

I was wondering if I should sell off my raptor now, or is the raptor still faster than these because of the 10k rpm?

Im new to all this raid and SATA II stuff so any recomendations would be appreciated

I have them basically for storing APPZ and games I install and for some storage, currently im running windows XP SP2 on the raptor, would is also be faster to switch the os over to the raid 0 configure?

I have it setup like this for my first time

Raid 0 striped and 16K, formatting them as we speak, any thoughts or recomendations would be great

One last thing, Is the sil raid or the NV raid SATA connections, which one of them is the fastest?

or is this like a trial and error type of thing?

Guest burningrave101

I personally wouldn't run RAID0, especially on two large drives like that. You will see very little gain in real world performance and RAID0 slightly decreases seek time. The benefits of RAID0 are when working with larger files such as raw data in video editing and such things. Gaming and smaller applications will benefit very little if any. And you sure wouldn't want to lose 500GB of data just cause you had a RAID array. The 74GB 10k raptor in your sig will also be faster. I would use the raptor for your OS and installs and the two 250 gig drives for storage.

Guest burningrave101
No, just because one drive fail doesn't mean they both are broken. It just means that you will lose the data.

Well they are both goners in the sense i think he means. If one drive fails then the data is lost and he will have to reformat the other drive by itself and reinstall the OS and all his data. Having multiple drives in a non-redundant array just means your grealty increases your chances of losing everything spanned across those drives. The benefts of RAID0 are worthless for an average user or a gamer. Unless your working with large amounts of raw data dont full with it. A single fast drive is more then adequate.

I have another question

I have a raptor and I read something about the expert or something killing them because of somekind of NCQ thingie or something

I disabled it before but now im on a fresh format, I cant find it again

Can someone help me out here, since you guys seem to know ur hd stuf pretty well, I myself just usually bought em cheaper the better, until the raptor that is, and now these babies..

Raptors are a definate waste of money. That said, however, use it as you wish. You won't notice a difference between it and the RAIDed drives.

As for Experts killing Raptors, thats a load. People just get mad when they don't know how to properly setup and use a motherboard.

600th post, this only confirms my friends suspicions that I have absolutely no life.

Guest burningrave101

I wouldn't say that Raptors are a waste of money. They are very fast even though the storage capacity isn't that great. Their price isn't all that high really when you consider that their performance compares to alot of high speed SCSI drives which are even more expensive. I wouldn't invest the money to buy two Raptors for RAID though unless i just had a ton of money to blow.