Opty 170 @ 2.4ghz vs. Stock X24800

ButtChew

So I have my new rig picked out and almost ready to order. After lots of helpful advice, I have the system tweaked out nicely with one last question (the title of the thread).

I'm trying to decide between an Opteron 170 OC'd to 2.4ghz, or a stock X24800 (stock is 2.4ghz on the X2).

Opty is definatlely cheaper, but I was wondering about the comparison in performance. If I go with the Opty, I would buy the external water cooling system from Thermaltake to cool my CPU, Graphics Card, and possibly the north bridge.

I dont mind the extra $$ if the X2 is indeed worth it. I will be doing lots of heavy gaming and graphic design if that makes a difference.

Advice and comments are greatly appreciated :D

From what I've read as well. The Opterons have a better Silicon straining to them, although it's only word of mouth so my statement has no real validity. I wen't with the Opty because it was cheaper, offered the same amount of L2 Cache, and also they seem to OC very very well.

I just put together the system in my signature yesterday, and I now have this Chip running @ 2.5GHz on stock volts, Prime Stable (For 2Hrs 15Minutes, I stopped prime because a thunderstorm was brewin' in my area and 2 summers ago I lost my system to a lightning strike). I'll Prime it for 8 hours here in the coming days and add it to the OC database.

http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2...prime9528xz.jpg

(I had to instances of CPU-z open, but forgot to set one of them to the memory MHz page, I am running @ DDR500 3-3-2-8

So far, I love the hell outta this chip. It's done everything I could ask of it and then some.

Believe it or not, but this is the stock cooler with stock paste on it as well. Although, 47C is getting a little hot for my liking, so I'll probably add a different cooler w/ some AS5 shortly. These chips are known to go a lot further than 2.5GHz as well, but as always your mileage may vary.