Another Ethernet Problem (not working)

Hi all, this is my first post. I've recently purchased an NF3 250gb and Sempron 3100, with hopes of overclocking a little. I've tried everything, but my Ethernet port is still not working. Here is what I've tried:

Originally RAID 0, with the installer of Nforce Network controller saying "Error 1324: The path Apache 2 contains an invalid character." And after unsuccessfully modifiying the registry, I removed the array. Now the network controller installs, but it still shows a network cable unplugged, no lights on in back either, although the surrounding usb and firewire ports work fine.

I then tried to enter the MAC(NV) addy from the AGP sticker, although there is only room for 12 characters (of 16) in the Genie Bios. And everytime I return to the Bios, it shows that the address is disabled, even though I saved and exited at least 4 times now. I also have the current chipset drivers installed, as the CD that was shipped with the MB was corrupted (dl'ed newest).

I have not attempted to flash latest bios (for E6 stepping Semprons), because CPU-z is detecting the cpu so I assume it is the latest version.

One other thing is weird, today, although fine now, upon booting I had no POST screen, no logo, only distorted blurring blue and white static lines the first time I turned my computer on this morning. I am currently connected to the internet through USB, which really seems much slower.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to being apart of the community!!

Hi T-rock,

Can you follow the below for me and post your results:

Click Start - Right Click My Computer - Left Click Manage - In management console expand the Device Manager tree - Expand the Network Adapter tree - can you see your Nvidia nForce Networking Controller listed?

If Yes - is there a red cross through the icon - if so right click it and select enable - restart PC.

Is there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark present? - right click and select Update drivers - click on Install from a list or specific Location (advanced) - click browse and browse to the following directory:

C:NVIDIAnForceWin2KXP"version number"EthernetPreNRMWinXP

Click next and allow the driver to install, if the update process does not complete, roll the dricver back first and then repeat the above steps.

If No continue with the following procedure:

In the Device Manager console expand the Computer Tree - Right click on your computer type mine is listed as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC - Yours will be different - select update driver and follow the normal procedure to update your system driver, allow the wizard to update using the Internet if prompted.

Once this is complete, try scanning for hardware changes using the right mouse button on the computers name in the device manager console. This should locate your nForce Network controller.

Then simply plug and play, as for your ISP is it a cable modem by any chance ?

Hi Student, under device manager it showed Nvidia nForce Network Controller to be funtioning properly. I updated driver from Computer in device manager, to the latest drivers from DFI's website (5.10 I think). Unfortunately nothing has changed, and btw, its a DSL modem. Thanks

When I built mine over a year ago, my router worked a little while, and then all of a sudden, it shows "a network cable disconnected". I went to the extent of rma the mobo, but did not help. What it turned out to be was my router not compatible with xp sp2 and all its updates. I am using a new router now. Try and see if there is a firware update for your modem, and if you can get your hands on a new router or modem, give it a try.

When you try and actually use the nForce controller with your modem, do you get any notifications, for example:

Local Area Connection is Now Connected

or

Network Cable Unplugged

When you have connected the cable are you able to run a ping test?

Click Start - Click Run - type CMD - Click OK - in the command window type ping www.bbc.co.uk and hit enter

Record your data and let me know your results, Packet Loss etc.

With your Connection on your nForce controller, do the following:

Click Start - Click Run - type CMD - Click OK - type ipconfig /all - press enter

Does it list your nForce controller with an assigned IP address?

Yes: try restartng your DSL modem - pull the plug from the mains for a few minutes if unsure of how to restart it.

No: in the command window type ipconfig /release - press enter - again in the command window type ipconfig /renew - press enter

Test your internet access, if that has not resolved the problem... restart the machine and try your connection again..

Let me know how you get on :)

Thanks for the replies!

e268, I really do not believe it to be the router, its worked with WinXP Pro SP2 before, and I disconnected anyways to eliminate that possibility. The.Student, I did most of what you suggested before, but followed it exact this time. The network connections always says Network cable is unplugged, and ipconfig says Media State Disconnected, with no ip's (works though through USB). Restarts with no luck. I really do appreciate your help, I know alot of people have had this problem. My next question is, if I buy a PCI ethernet card, will it be slower than integrated LAN, because it communicates through the PCI bus?

Thanks for the replies!

e268, I really do not believe it to be the router, its worked with WinXP Pro SP2 before

That is what happened to me. It had worked, and then it just show "network cable disconnected". I tried to set my router to 10 Mbps and it worked, but not 100 Mbps.

if I buy a PCI ethernet card, will it be slower than integrated LAN, because it communicates through the PCI bus?

Nope not really... in fact the PCI NIC is quicker in my opinion, as it has its own dedicated power supply, network controller etc.. instead of an onbrad shared chip and power and comms link.

With the onboard nForce network controller I was running 25 + ms pings on UK BF2 servers, with the PCI NIC I am getting between 10ms - 20ms Pings on same server....

Would you consider a reinstall of windows? as I have a method for you that may resolve it?

arechts12: I'm in the process of trying the things in your link thanks!

the.student: I'm not opposed to a fresh install, but I've had to do it so many times in the past few weeks (hardware changes, etc) I'll probably just try a pci card, but tell me your method, I might take a shot at it...thanks