Odd PCI-E video flickering

Just curious (and this might not be the right place to post this), has anyone else experienced problems with the screen flickering when logging into or out of Windows? it is not the normal resolution change flicker, but lines of distortion appear across the monitor. Also, I have experienced sub-optimal performance by the video card. This is the second card I have used in this computer with the exact same results. I RMA'd the first one, believing it to be defective. Unfortunately, I don't have another PCI-E video card to swap with, or another person nearby to test with. Did I get a second defective card in a row? Anything, anyone?

Thanks

Thomas

I've never seen that on anything before. Does your sound ever crackle, snap, or make static? Any chance something is grounding out, even slightly?

Otherwise, hope your PSU isn't having an issue, or starting to show signs of issues.

I checked (and re-checked) the posts and mounting of the mobo and the cards, and it is fine. The PSU is brand-spanking new, so I don't believe that it is the issue, but I will break out the DVOM and check the leads.

The only time I get the odd flickering is when I log into windows. This is more than the standard resolution change flicker, and as I said, it is in bands or groups across the screen.

Could it be the frequency or settings on the PCI-E bus? Arg... if I don't get it fixed soon, I am going to have to believe that it has something to do with the mobo and rma it. As I said, this is the second card to have this exact same problem.

Thomas

Have you tried using the other DVI out on the gpu?

Mine totally played up today, and kept flashing different colours.

I plugged the monitor into the 2nd DVI port, and it's fine.

For now I'm just ignoring the problem with the other port.

Well, I only have a single DVI port on this card (can downgrade to the VGA out on it though. The other problem is that I just put in a SATAII drive to reinstall windows, and now a stuck with the fact that my Windows XP won't install on the SATA drive (says "Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose".) Gah... things not going my way at the moment.

:X

I will get back when my 'puter gets back.... and the PSU seems to be working fine, as of this moment.

Thomas

Gah... ignore my last post... Whiskey and installing XP apparently don't mix. the new SATA drive was at the bottom, and the drive I was trying was something else (such as my Firewire drive).

Hehe... alost done installing XP!

Thomas

Well.... some updates. Having gotten through the install of windows XP, I noticed that it flickers just a bit when booting, but with the default VGA drivers installed, no flicker at login. I am going to install the ATI drivers this afternoon, to see if there is any difference.

Thomas