Opteron 144,146 or 148?

jumpman

Guest area51

Never had a 148 but have had both the 146 and 3700 Sandy...

I would probably go with the 148 Opteron because it seems like the memory controllers are a tad bit better with the Opty's and you can usually get away with higher clocks at lower volts (assuming a decent stepping on both chips).

On the other hand if you had to pay a huge price differential for the 148 I would take the 3700 Sandy as they are generally pretty good chips in my experience (both I had ran ~2.75 dont recall steppings cabge maybe?)

Hope this helps.

Thanx area51...im going with the opteron. The price are almost equal between the opty and the sandy. so opty it is.

As for the steppings, i have to find out what opty 148 to get...any recommendation guys?

I went with the Opty 150 and am getting 2.82Ghz. 12x multiplier starts you at 2.4Ghz and I increased the fsb to 235 with some Patriot ram to get 2.82 prime stable. You can look at my sig for the stats. It's a CABGE core, on air cooling with a Zalman 9500. The cpu doesn't get above 38C with that fan and the on board fan controls. And yes, that was at full load. I'm hoping for 3Ghz but I'm waiting on some better ram. I picked up a retail 150 for about $300 and don't regret it.