Cold boot problem with a NF4 Venus?

You may want to wait a while before investing in a Venus, I've had mine up and running for several days without problems. Tonight, The board refused to start from a cold boot (ran 5 seconds and turned off), I changed ram configuration and the computer posted but stopped again after another cold start. THe computer isn't overclocked, I'm using all DFI street recommended components.

I'll change power supply and memory tomorrow and if it fails to boot again. I'll be the first to RMA a Venus straight back to the seller.

For $300, the thing should be flawless. :mad:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I changed power supplies from an OCZ 600W SLI to an Antec smartpower 2.0 500W modular, robbed from another computer. After the installation I pushed the power button and the Venus booted without problems and no more cold boot failures after multiple tests today. (It'll probably fail again as soon as I post this... frickin computers). Called OCZ , described symptoms and the tech immediately told me to return the 600W power supply for replacement.

I'm still not convinced the power supply was the cause but I'll sure exchange my OCZ for a new one if there is any question.

An observation: When I was having the cold boot problem, I could get the computer to start 100% of the time by turning off the power at the power supply with the rocker switch on the PSU, wait for the orange LED to go out on the MB, re-power the PSU and normally start the computer. :confused:

I had the cold boot issue with the Expert everytime I had to hard boot. It hasn't happened once with the Venus, but I've only hard booted 3 times in the week that I've had it, just to check it. I've had the SLI-DR and the Expert and now the Venus. The only board I ever got Prime95 stable on at 2750 in x64 was the Venus. I hope I don't see any failures on mine. So far I'm glad I bought the fancy box.

I had the cold boot issue with the Expert everytime I had to hard boot. It hasn't happened once with the Venus, but I've only hard booted 3 times in the week that I've had it, just to check it. I've had the SLI-DR and the Expert and now the Venus. The only board I ever got Prime95 stable on at 2750 in x64 was the Venus. I hope I don't see any failures on mine. So far I'm glad I bought the fancy box.

I hope your venus (and mine too) turns out to be a reliable computer, damn, it seems like I've been doing more maintenance than computing lately. I sent the expert back to DFI and the venus is running ok. I getting afraid to turn the dang thing off.

It's funny, I have all this "high end" DFI stuff with all the ticky problems and built an inexpensive Epox 9npa+sli with cheap components and it won't die. Any ram, power supply, no matter what you put in it, it goes and fast too. very reliable board.

:)

No cold-boot problem with mine - if I do what triggers it?

I'm constantly turning it off by:

1) Switch off at power strip

2) Switch off at PSU switch

3) Hit on-board power switch

4) Hit on-board reset switch

This because its on the kitchen table (isn't everyones?) and I have a bulimic cat (really).

Did same with my very cranky Expert, too.

I did take Rgone's advice and bought Sunbeamtech NUUO 550W PSU.

It has a rating on 2.5A on the +5VSB rail.

And although it has an 80mm fan in back in addition to the 120mm on top, it's is totally SILENT! A real suprise.

It only cost about $70, too.

Rgone said he had three Experts he was working on and one had the boot problem. He had tried the OCZ, but it was the Sunbeam that "fixed" it for him.

Good Luck!

After gaining considerable and unwanted experience with the cold boot thing with the venus and expert, I think the power supply has a lot to do with the issue. Since changing the power supply the venus is a rock, steady and powers up every time (knock on wood). Also my temps have dropped several degrees. I noticed that the OCZ 600W Sli had very warm exaust.

I talked to Ricky at DFI and he says that he can do something to the boards that will stop the cold boot problem no matter which power supply is being used. I'll find out soon since I sent him my expert. I'd like to know what his fix is.

:)

Im having the same problems with my venus.Turn on power boots bout 4 sec and shuts off.I have to turn off my power supply and back on then it boots fine.I have the enermax 600 sli pwr supply.I dont think the issue is with the power supply itself entirely because ive had it running a sli-dr and a msi k8n with no issues.If someone comes across a fix please post.Ive had no luck so far gonna play with the bios some tonight on the power settings but dought it will do any good sounds like a bios update to me.

I just shut it down with the power button one more time to test it out, and it powered right back on for me. I think it's safe to say the Venus resolved my cold boot issue.

I just got my SLI-DR back from rma about an hour ago. No paperwork or nothing explaining what they did, or whether it booted up or not. Nothing. Because my Venus is running so awesome, I'm not about to pull power and everything off my Venus to test out the SLI-DR, so for now, I guess I'll have to assume it's working.

FX-X2, between my Enermax and this board, voltages look and feel real solid. I've posted before about my inability to get stable at a simple 250 x 11=2750MHz on my SlI-DR and Expert, on x64. I never got any feedback though, as there isn't that many x64 users trying to overclock. Anyway I never could before and I am now. I think the better voltage regulation is the reason.

burleyboy try out the silicon image raid if you havent allready.i get better start up times with it on my venus and my dr board.I guess ill have to give enermax a ring sounds like its working good for you.I see your shooting the juice to that processor lol.Ive got some ocz platinum gamers extreme 4000 on the way gonna go with 260 fsb 10 on the cpu and keep my voltage inside amd's specs.

i got a few friends overclocking amd's bout 200mhz dont have to do nothing with cpu voltage.getting your memory set up right is the kicker on overclocking and im still a rookie.peace