Power Supply

Guest squidge

I think the main problem with people reviewing PSU's is that a lot of people simply plug it into a PC and check the voltage rails rails and temps with PC software under various standard and overclocked conditions. As we all know, the motherboard doesn't always give back the correct results. Unfortunately, this is the only way of testing them for most people, as they simply don't have thousands to spend on dedicated PSU testing equipment.

However, now that magazines have got there hands on this type of equipment, it can only force manufacturers of PSUs to aim for higher and higher standards to compete in the market place, rather than just making them look pretty.

Did you read the review of the Ultra XConnect 500W ? "Explosive and inefficient - blew up after just five minutes and ten seconds", and that costs a lot more than the Hiper!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

psydrop, I have it and it works fine. There may be issues if I push my system (OC, SLI). I have a mild OC at [email protected] ram at 3.2v with no problems. I may buy a powerstream in the future when I get a x2 cpu.

Sounds good i won't go SLI now anyway i just want my computer to work stable @3ghz and it almost did with my asrock.

I believe the 580W in practice isn't much better in terms of available power than the 480W Type-R model. The 480W Type R works nicely with this system.

As for the 3 lights - I would suggest you try clearing the CMOS and press Insert while booting.

QTEC PSU's are one of the worst available. They shouldn't be used in any computer nevermind one with a DFI board. I think QTEC still give their power ratings by the peak load.

i sent it back to the store i bought i from and asked them to have a look at it. I hope i will get it back next week so then i'll give it a new try.

I will go pick up my board tonight so keep your fingers crossed :)

Hi!

Got my board back yesturday with a note saying that it posted and restarted. I mounted cpu, 1 stick of memory and graphic and tried to start it up still 3 led's. Anyone have any tips of what i should try to get it working.

//Psydrop

To bad, I'm sorry to hear that. According to how the leds work...

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

... in which slot did you try one memory module? It should be the orange most far from the CPU. If it doesn't work, do you have a friend who could test your memory modules to make sure they're allright?