Question on chipset and PWMIC temperatures

Hi All,

Just wondering how hot is too hot in regards to the chipset and PWMIC temps. Currently my CPU temps are fine (about 35 idle, 44 load), but the other temps are suspect.

In short, here is the scenario: I just purchased a Gigabyte Aurora 3D, and was all set to love it (and usher in my next level of tinkering...watercooling). When I got everything built, I was less than happy with the temps (CPU was still OK). Upon running rthdribl for 20 mins, the temps for chipset and PWMIC were like 55-63 C. I even had 2 additional Panaflo 80 cms to assist in pulling in air from the outside. SLI vid cards (with Zalmans) were like 96 C!.

I came over from my Coolermaster Praetorian, and I never had temps like those. Chipset was prolly 45 C on load, PWMIC a little less.

One thing I did on the Aurora....I took out the "Coffee filter" on the intake. I feel that thing was restricting inlet flow BIGTIME. Seemed to help a little on the next rthdribl round...about 55 C and 80 C for the vid cards.

How hot is too hot? Should I consider going back to the Praetorian? I'm a little peeved at how high the case/chipset temps are, and I don't want to bake that chipset.

Please answer if you can, it is a big help.

Thanks!

I checked out your case design, Cproflow, and your temps are actually consistent with my expectations and other reviews. First off, remember that the Aurora is designed as a water cooling case, which means that the heat from the CPU, chipset and possibly even the graphics cards, will be directly removed from the case and not significantly add to the interior case temperature. That said, the case looks like it should be a good air cooled case. Unfortunately, it appears that such is not the ...umm case.

The case is designed as a negative pressure case, as evidenced by 2 x 120mm exhaust fans and 1 x 120mm filtered intake fan. The airflow from the front fan will do an excellent job of cooling the HD, then flow in an 'S' pattern upwards, to exhaust out the rear 120's. Due to the negative case pressure, the remainder of the intake air comes from the side screen. Now here is the rub, 2/3 of the side screen is above your graphics card(s), which means that most of the airflow from the side screen is above the card(s), doing them no good whatsoever. Clearly, if the cards were water cooled, this would not be a problem.

Anyway, my advice would be to install a side fan blowing directly onto the cards and/or the nF4 fan.