Gaming Problems

I had to reformatt my comput last nite because I was getting all types of windows errors, and explorer kept on crashing. I formatted, installed all the drivers, set my video card settings to what they usually are. I usually take of vsync because it drops your FPS in game a lot. When I go into counter-strike 1.6, when i run i like glitch and every like 3-4 seconds i stopp running and cant move but i can shoot but doesn't seem like anything registers. Ive never had this problem before its really weird, and the fps in game is very instable. What should I do?

Sounds like a network connection problem based on my experience with Counter-Strike. Did you install the NIC drivers after your reformat? Or you could try turning off the Windows XP Firewall to see if that helps. Did you install anysort of extra Firewall or Network security programs after your reinstall? Just throwing out a list of all the things that can mess with an internet connection since I'm not sure what is causing your problem (if connection problem it is). Are you going through a router and if so, did you setup Internet Options correctly?

Did you mean that the FPS was stable when you have these problems? Or that it is unstable and fluctuates wildly? If unstable, did you install the AMD Dual Core patch after you reinstalled Windows? If so, maybe you should try installing the Microsoft Dual Core hotfix, though I don't have the link to that off the top of my head.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/driv..._FLAG=A&SITE=NA

Is this the link for the dual core fix, how do I Install?

Yes, the fps goes crazy during game play it doesnt go any higher than 99 because I have it set to stop at 99 but usually itll stay at 99 constant. Im going to reinstall the lan drivers now, and no windows firewall is off and no extra firewall, just a router.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_9706,00.html

That is the link to the AMD dual core patch, make sure you download the correct one for your operating system.

Microsoft Hotfix can be downloaded here: http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modl...rticle&sid=3964

Make sure you follow the instructions exactly and make a restore point for your computer before you start editing the entry or install the hotfix.

Edit: And don't install the Microsoft hotfix without first installing the AMD patch.

You definitely should download that hotfix, but also have you tried setting the affinity to utilizing only one CPU core??? Half Life games, both 1 and 2, are not meant for dual core CPUs. I got lots of stuttering with both cores enabled, but when I set it to only using CPU 1, it went away. To set affinity, open up the game, then window out back to the desktop, open your task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE), press on the PROCESSES tab, and look for the .exe file for the game you're running...then right click it and select set affinity and uncheck the CPU 0. Of course there are softwares out there that automatically does this for you whenever you open up game, but its not a big deal to me to do it manually. Also, set the affinity of the steam.exe proces to one core (CPU 0 is fine) too to be safe.

Hmm weird, I installed that hotfix, and reinstalled the network driver. Now it seems to be running really good. I didn't set the affinity to 1 core but maybe it does it automaticly? Because with the nvidia it has different Profiles you can select and I picked HL2, so Im guessing it does it itself? Thanks for all the input btw