Ask information about DFI SLI DR Expert and OCZ memory

Edouard

Hello

I am a newbie in the AMD world and i would like to buy a DFI NF4 SLI DR Expert, but I have also seen that it is not recommended to have up to 2 memory modules for AMD platform.

Today I have 4 memory modules of 512Mo with 2.3.2.5 timings and I would like to know if it is possible to put them on the DFI NF4 SLI DR Expert.

Thanks very much for all advices.

You can use 4 sticks just fine. However you will most likely need to run at 2T and you won't be able to overclock the 4 sticks as well as you could 2 sticks.

I would also recommend active cooling with 4, just because they'll heat up more when they're so close together.

You can use 4 sticks just fine. However you will most likely need to run at 2T and you won't be able to overclock the 4 sticks as well as you could 2 sticks.

I would also recommend active cooling with 4, just because they'll heat up more when they're so close together.

ok thanks for information. But is there an important difference between 1T and 2T paramaters ? and for overclocking, At what frequency I could increase memory ? I don't know the max of theses modules

and I would like to know if it exists a fan system for memory module as the ABIT Otes System for cooling RAM.

Thanks

ok thanks for information. But is there an important difference between 1T and 2T paramaters ? and for overclocking, At what frequency I could increase memory ? I don't know the max of theses modules

and I would like to know if it exists a fan system for memory module as the ABIT Otes System for cooling RAM.

Thanks

In reality you will see a slight difference in benchmarks running 2t, but I doubt you would notice a thing just running apps and gaming. Just overclock the memory soem and it will make up for the 2t settings.

Some one makes a RAM cooler. Super Talent is the company I think.

Would'nt buy the Expert mate, good board and all but if you can get the Venus board get it. I'm seriously considering junking the Expert I've got (its 2 weeks old) to get the Venus.

Limited to 1000 boards worldwide but is very dear here in OZ and its still the 939 socket. Solid aluminium capacitors, wider space between cards (VGA), no bridge neccessary etc.

I think you should consider it and by the way theres no probs with OCZ memory. I'd advise you use 2 sticks tho I think I read here somewhere here on the street you can force 1T timings on 4sticks but I have'nt tried it myself.

Would'nt buy the Expert mate, good board and all but if you can get the Venus board get it. I'm seriously considering junking the Expert I've got (its 2 weeks old) to get the Venus.

Limited to 1000 boards worldwide but is very dear here in OZ and its still the 939 socket. Solid aluminium capacitors, wider space between cards (VGA), no bridge neccessary etc.

I think you should consider it and by the way theres no probs with OCZ memory. I'd advise you use 2 sticks tho I think I read here somewhere here on the street you can force 1T timings on 4sticks but I have'nt tried it myself.

Is there a big difference between the Venus version and the Expert version ? for my memory modules ?

Becaus I can buy it in France. It is so good ....

Another thing you might consider is this:

The DFI Expert has issues with TCCD based memory modules, if you have TCCD based modules I would leave the Expert alone and go for an Ultra-D (SLI/DR) or Venus board.

On the other hand, if it's memory with UTT or BH5/BH6 chips you could go for the Expert.

Hope this helps :)

Btw, If I were you I'd use 2 sticks of 1024Mb and not 4x512Mb. With two sticks of 1024MB, changes are a lot higher you reach running them at 1T

I'm following a topic on Xtreme forums where a well known user, Windwithme, is testing the board. He succesfully ran his two sticks of 1024MB at 1T (doing 620DDR :) )

He has yet to succeed in running 4x512 at 1T. At the moment it's still 2T

but tell me about the cold boot bug. it seems a lot of people have to unplug the ps wait 1 min and replug it. seems something to do with the dfi board pulling too much current on boot tripping the overcurrent protection circuit of quality ps. all the ps we know can be affected-ocz 520, fortron, ppc&cooling. how significant is this bug and how prevalent? any fix?