Home Server Specs Yah or Nah

Outie

DFI-STREET,

I have come to get your royal blessing for a home server I am planning to build. Yes I know the hardware is overblown and the server will more then likely be running at stock speeds if not a little over, but want this thing to be rock solid. So I dont mind spending more for stability even if I end up using less with an extremely stable clock! Windows Server 2003 64bit edition will be loaded on top of all this hardware and will run my house server which will include, Gigabit network file serving, dhcp, dns and hopefully 24 hour up time. Beyond the windows programs the only other thing it will be running is my house alarm monitoring software. Here is the hardware I plan to use:

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 6600GT

Memory: OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

PSU: OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI 600W

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX

CPU: AMD Opteron 165

Hard Drives (system): Seagate 7200.8 300GB x 4 RAID 1

Hard Drives (storage): WD400YR Western Digital Caviar RE2 400GB x 8 RAID 5

SATA Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 8 port controller

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830

Also I am assuming that dual core Opterons can run with this motherboard!?

Please let me know what you think and thanks again for your time helping me out!

DFI-STREET,

Also I am assuming that dual core Opterons can run with this motherboard!?[/i]

Please let me know what you think and thanks again for your time helping me out!

Yes .. and your previous question (before you edited i guess)

----

opterons tend to heat up quicker then other CPUs... i'd recommend a good aftermarket HSF .. i've gone through my second Thermalright XP-120 and i does wonders! i love it.. but i hear the SI-120 has less compability issues (you might lose 1 or 2 degress but its worth it) A good 120mm fan combined with that HSF will give you optimal AIR cooling.

here is my 2cent:

get this

and this

:cool:

Guest Dynamic

You have alot of storage size first off, and a very nice stable PSU. Just make sure to buy a very nice UPS system for your server as well. Remember power is the main important thing for servers and of course SECURITY. Good luck....

Guest Dynamic

Yeah, make sure the room temps is ice cold. If you can possibily mod your case on that system with couple of 120mm fans for intakes and exhaust, very important as well unless the case already comes with #$%@ @$$ cooling power already.

Note: Yes, those opterons will work, but DFI will not support that processor...heheh

Also your backup strategy is pretty important. Sounds like what you need is a high-end tape drive and some good software. Then rotate tapes and store one set offsite at all times.

I don't know whether backing up RAIDs requires special hardware, software, or procedures.

The PSU I was thinkin might be underpowered actualy! 12 SATA harddrives, 165 Opteron, DVD drive, 2 GIGs of ram, 4 120mm case fans, 128 Geforce 6600GT. Wasen't sure if the PSU could hold up 12 HDs. I know the Motherboard and CPU is a little overkill but I want that for expandability and stability. Id rather have something run amazing at stock then it run sluggish at sotck and then have to overclock it for it to run worth a damn.

Comments?