What do you think now????

Wrightman

You all helped me change my purchase plans.. THX!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:nod: WOW! Lots of good advice. Thank you all... I have re-thought my pending purchase and this is my new list. What do you think now?

Lian Li PC-7077B Black Aluminum Server Computer Case

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

eVGA 256-P2-N517-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Koutech PCI to USB/1394a Card Model IOFLEX-7002

OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI ATX12V 2.01, ATX, BTX, SATA, P4, and EPS12V 600W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX

Mushkin Redline eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 991493

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Model SHM-165H6S - OEM

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink

Lian Li C-01B CD/DVD ROM Bezel

Lian Li MF-515B 5.25" to 3.5" Converter (Black)

Win XP Pro SP2

Looks pretty good, couple of things you might want to rething though.

1. Do you really need the 150GB raptor? The 74GB is a lot cheaper and should be more than large enough for any OS.

2. Those Redlines are still a little pricey and some don't overclock all that well, the extreme performance variant is pretty nice too. I probably would have gotten the Redlines though if I could afford them, just be warned some don't oc very well.

Personally I'd still get a dual core, but thats just me. :)

Guest Dynamic

Very impressive bro! I'm just surprised with all that money spent you're only getting ONE GT, instead of a X1900XTX which would blow it away dude....

no dual core!? come onnnn man! think of the future! think of the KIDS!! uhh, ok, nevermind that... but you really should consider an Opty 170 or X2 of some kind. Dual-core multi-threading is the future!

otherwise that's a damnnnn fine system there! congrats!

Very impressive bro! I'm just surprised with all that money spent you're only getting ONE GT, instead of a X1900XTX which would blow it away dude....

that's true too.. but i'd go with the 7800GTX 512 instead since that still allows for SLI down the road on the Expert, while the X1900 does not.

why? he did say he has many years of experience building a computer... let him be :P

It may be because some here with inside knowledge may be aware of a possible issue with some Expert boards.

If there IS such an issue, perhaps it might be fixed fairly soon - maybe.

Try a search of "cold boot" (or similar) problems here on this forum, and read carefully.

I have an Expert, and (for instance) feel my choice of PSU just got a lot narower and a lot MORE IMPORTANT.

And (for now - it seems) I can forget the "recomended list"

Not too many there have a spec. of 3A on the +5VSB rail!

theres only a couple things i would change:

1) do you really need 150gb raptor like technovandan said? they are overpriced .. a 74gb would suffice.

2) GO DUAL CORE. this is the most important thing i would say. even if you get an x2 3800+ anything dual core would be an improvement over a single core.

3) do you really need an X-fi platinum? if you are a hardcore audiophile or make music on yoru comp you REALLY dont need it. I would recommend the X-Fi XtremeMusic .. its liek $200 cheaper which you could spend on other things (cpu, gpu)

otherwise looks good man.

4) i would recommend upgrading that 7800gt to a GTX. eVGA is awesome but i would either go with 2x 7800gt or 1 7800gtx .. if money is no object go with 2x 7800gtx .. dont go 512mb gtx as they are supposed to stopped being produced in february sometime.

i have to disagree.... but thats just me ;)

1) i agree. heck even a dual seagate 80gb is good enough on RAID 0.

2) i also agree. dual-core is te way to go... im just waitin for M2 :P

3) the Platinum if im not mistaken has an internal memory on it, 64MB of it. It will reduce lags by a tiny bit, but still, if ur one of those points-hunter.... then... the XtremeMusic does not have that. reviews said tat the 64mb does make a diference. im happy wit my audigy1 tho...

4) i dont recommend getting GTX. if u wanna splurge, then wait a few weeks, get the 7900. GTX released early march, GT march 20th. the price different from GT to GTX is totally not worth the performance. eVGA's GT CO comes wit stock 470 and 1100. its 100/200 points difference in 3dmark05 wit GTX. u will NOT notice any difference playing games within a couple hundreds of points in 3dmark. if u dont wanna wait 7900, get the 7800GT. Its good enough for now. if u wanna upgrade in teh future, sell ur 7800GT and grab the 7900. 7800GTX is just WAY overpriced for the performance difference with its little brother, GT. if u realy really dont wanna wait 7900, and money no object and u want to go SLI in the future, then et the GTX512. Yes, they will be stop around spring 2006, but vendors will have it for many months to come. Yes, its overpriced, but u can just plug another GTX512 later on and i guarantee you it will still beat single 7900.

just my $2.