PCI bus issues

I'm new to the NF4 chipset and A64 CPUs so please forgive what is obviously a real noob question. When I first started overclocking in the old days raising the FSB too high would cause some peripherals on the PCI bus to crap out because they couldn't communicate at high speeds. I've come across a couple of issues in the last couple of days which appear to be similar but as I understand it the PCI bus speed is fixed on the EXPERT board regardless of FSB.

1. Windows XP will throw up errors when writing large files (38Gig DV-AVIs) to a LaCie 500Gig drive via USB 2.0 - it will fail to write about half way through a file. The same operation works via firewire, but it appears to be slow.

2. While Windows Movie Maker will capture video using a Canopus ADVC-55 firewire Svideo -> DV converter, Adobe Premiere Pro drops out after about 3 seconds of video capture with an unknown error.

Both errors disappear when I go back to stock speeds - neither task overly stresses the CPU or RAM.

Given the RAM I've got is rated to run at 500 MHz I'm not really pushing it at 480MHz (see sig). Prime 95 runs happily for 8 hours on both cores.

Could I be doing something that upsets the PCI bus or the peripherals or should I be looking elsewhere?

Confused from Surrey!

Tim

What do you have yours set to?

I've only really fiddled so far regarding overclocking - once my new Panaflo fan arrives tomorrow (H1BX) I'll go through the Overclocking guide in earnest - it could perhaps be RAM settings - I've just got the timings set per SPD at the moment, from what I've read the Corsair TWINX 4000PT 2048 sticks (UCCD ?) give the best bandwidth running with the loosest timings together with fastest clock speeds.

Tim

• 4 months later...
Guest caffeinejunkie
Note that DFI mobos don't set correct SPD values on this ram...my mobo set 3-3-3-8, when it should be 3-4-4-8.

Very true. it could also be a memory controller issue. Have you tried running memtest?

But since your running all auto give this a go:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200=RAM/FSB:1/1

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 04 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Level 7

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3

Max Async Latency - 8.0 Nano Seconds

DRAM Response Time - Normal

Read Preamble Time - 6.0 Nano Seconds

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

As for chipset and ldt voltage on my rig I have them both at stock. Infact if I raise either of them I actually get instability.

My new twinx2048-4000pt (same as yours?) are not OK... I suggest you read my post at HouseOfHelp forum (RamGuy - Corsair) http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=51926 .

stick 1 can only do 247 MHz, while stick 2 does 267 MHz in Memtest86+

if I only found another stick 2....read many "bad posts" of this mem, but I think it's coz of two very different dimms...in a way it's poor internal controlling, but there ARE nuggets sticks.... me wants another 267Mhz stick !

• 2 weeks later...

I have XMS PC4000 also it works great.

What is you LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio ?

At FSB 261 I would recommend LDT/FSB 3.5 instead because 4 will give you HTT = 2088 Mhz (4*261*2 ) and it is higher than the recommended HTT max speed (2000).

Guest Kobalt

XP pops up a requestor that says write error?

Or are you looking in the event viewer?

Do you know which HD is inside the LaCie 500Gig drive? Reason is, you might want to hook it up to your IDE(or SATA) ports, then check for errors via SMART & drive scan from whoever made the HD. USB & FW don't support SMART error reporting. This will rule out the HD.

Then use memtest from the BIOS option to test your RAM.

I suspect you just have RAM issues though, since you don't get errors an stock speed, which is 200 (400) for the RAM.