Crashing in games w/ X1900XT

Hello,

I got a new RDX200 and X1900XT last together last week. I installed them immediately...had to get a new PSU to get it to work. Finally, it booted into windows without a hitch and all the drivers went in without a hitch.

Everything was looking great until I tried 3dmark05, 06, and the Toy Shop ATi demo. These programs would run up to a minute before crashing horribly...the screen would first freeze and then go black, with the sound looping for a few moments before the blackness. After this the computer would not respond and would have to be rebooted.

I even reformatted this afternoon, reinstalled XP SP2 and the devices (using the drivers included with the X1900 and the RDX200), and it crashed again in the same manner. Updating the BIOS to 12/23/2005 version did nothing either.

Considering the quality of all of my components, and the fact that everything is running at stock, I am quite surprised by this, and I am currently at a loss. :confused:

I am new to DFI boards and their incredible array of tweaks so I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions. Like it says in my sig, I'm running the OCZ RAM in only 2-dimm slots (yes, slots 2 and 4, not 1 and 3). Timings are stock @ 3-3-2-7 1T w/ stock 2.8v. Windows seems to be running fine except for 3-D apps. I even ran memtest for 30min on test 5 and ATI Tool artifact scanner for nearly an hour...everything seems fine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

oNEMOg

How long has this been going on... my x1800xt died on me last week and it started with all 3d apps. Now even 2d wont run unless its only windows vga... im rma'ing it soon but am now wondering if the mobo might not be at fault...

Had a bud a while back who had 3 cpus blow on him in an epox mobo. He switched mobos and problem was gone... he wasnt ocing at all either.

[...] Everything was looking great until I tried 3dmark05, 06, and the Toy Shop ATi demo. These programs would run up to a minute before crashing horribly...the screen would first freeze and then go black, with the sound looping for a few moments before the blackness. After this the computer would not respond and would have to be rebooted. [...]

I had the same problem after replacing my X850 XT with a X1900 XT. I could fix the problem by raising LDT bus voltage to 1.3V.

Ati tool will artifact scan on mine (overclocked) fine somethimes, but will still crash in games. What might be worth a try is underclocking the graphics card by quite a way, then doing what you did to make it crash-just to make sure it is that that's at fault.

It does sound like a graphics card problem... but it's worth just leaving prime 95 running a torture test for a few hours, see if that results in any problems. You tried that?

I am having a problem with this also. For me it is related to data corruption when copying files I don't know if it might be the same problem for you. Only noticed the problem when using WinRAR and Quick SFV picked up that a number of random files were getting corrupted, always different.

If you look at Phemo's post on file corruption you will see the full problem.

I could fix the problem by raising LDT bus voltage to 1.3V.

Hey sorry I didn't reply sooner, but this worked! Thanks a ton man! :D

I don't even know what the LDT bus is, but I guess it has something to do with the PCI-E bus or HyperTransport? It's weird that it wouldn't be set to working levels by default on a board of this caliber.

Thanks again!

Hey sorry I didn't reply sooner, but this worked! Thanks a ton man! :D

I don't even know what the LDT bus is, but I guess it has something to do with the PCI-E bus or HyperTransport? It's weird that it wouldn't be set to working levels by default on a board of this caliber.

Thanks again!

AMD has renamed "LDT" to "HyperTransport", it's the HT voltage.

I had no problems with my old X850 XT and a HT voltage of 1.2V. Perhaps this specific card (X1900) causes a very high load and HT gets unstable at default voltage. This is a question for DFI Taiwan. ;)