Controlling Fan Speed

Im not able to control fan speeds with my motherboard. I tried using speedfan but it no go.

I used to own a DFI NF3 250gb s754 and there is a setting in the bios so i could control fan speeds.

Anyone here had the same problem and found a solution to it?

• 3 months later...

Here is what I do with my nf3 ut.

In smartfuarian, click options. On CPU Fan tab, click Software programmable mode, same for PWMIC fan and system fan.

Now run SpeedFan. Click Configuration and click Speeds tab. Set the minimum and Max values, and automated variated. Click OK. Click Automatic fan speed.

After all this, fans should run at the fan speed you set, but smartguardian must be the first one to run. I put shortcuts of both on startup file so when computer comes on, it run smartguadian first and the speedfan.

BTW I use Joop's mod to make smarguadian look real nice. I wish someone can mod speedfan because it looks ugly.

Click the Configure button. A configure page will show up.

Now click the Speeds tab on top. It will show 3 boxes on the right. The first box is for the cpu fan. click on the name to change it to CPU (just like rename in windows explorer). Then click the box. On the bottom of the page, you will see 3 boxes. Choose the Minimum and Maximum values by using the up/down arrows. In my case, I chose 50% as minimum and 70% as max. You need to experiement to see what % max is best for you. It is a compromise of temperature control and fan noise. Also, click the Automatically variated box.

Now click on the Second box on the right and change the name to PWMIC or Chipset, do the same for the min and max boxes. The the last bos on the right is for the system fan, do the same for min and max.

Click on to return to the first page. If you want automatic fan speed control, click the Automatic fan speed box, and it will work according the set min and max values you entered. If you do not want auto control, you can change the speed of the fans on the right side, bottom third where you should see the three boxes. Use the arrows to change the speed.

An added benefit of using speedfan is the S.M.A.R.T tab on top. Click on it, and it will find your HDD and show if they are healthy. You can read the decription in Speedfan home page.

BTW, I use Speedfan 4.28