HOW TO - Install Windows in 25 minutes

mursaat

You don't need to call them to use your cd again, I've used the same cd through 5 systems I've had without calling them, and yes it did let me activate it.

It depends on how often you are activating windows. For a while there I was reformatting every couple of days because things weren't working the way I wanted to, had to optimize my RAID array and whatnot. In that case they'll catch it if you keep activating.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Milkshake
It depends on how often you are activating windows. For a while there I was reformatting every couple of days because things weren't working the way I wanted to, had to optimize my RAID array and whatnot. In that case they'll catch it if you keep activating.

Really? That is interesting. Well no big deal, I'll call if I need to but so far haven't had to.

But one thing I'm certain of is theres no problem with using it on a different computer. Unless someone can prove me wrong. But like I said I've used it on different computers with no problem.

But one thing I'm certain of is theres no problem with using it on a different computer. Unless someone can prove me wrong. But like I said I've used it on different computers with no problem.

God (Bill Gates) knows. Just wait for the revolution and he'll crush you for insubordinance...

:rolleyes:

:)Hi mursaat,

Thanks for the guide .... definitely something I must do

one of these days :O

I have a chaotic, directory-file system that only I can decipher! :rolleyes:

My weired idea of security... :P

Thanks!!!

You don't need to call them to use your cd again, I've used the same cd through 5 systems I've had without calling them, and yes it did let me activate it. So you dont have to call them...

Maybe we Europeens have proved less willing to comply with laws of copyright - I doubt it though - but at least where I'm living there's no way to activate any Windows operation system without making a call. A month ago I talked to one of their representative about it and he explained that nowdays that how it works. Of course, it seems like they allow you a couple of crasches and reinstallations, however after that they want you to explain what happen; not to start and argument about Windows since I'm using Linux too, but many of us users do experience more than two occasions when a fresh installation is of preference. Other products though, like MS Office will still be activated easely (at least in my experience). In view of this I think Kilamon's input is of great value.

You don't need to call them to use your cd again, I've used the same cd through 5 systems I've had without calling them, and yes it did let me activate it. So you dont have to call them, I doubt they track any of your MACs because you can stick it on a new system with different hardware and it works.

When I said that the serial numbers and mac addresses are tracked, I meant that the wpa file tracks them per computer, not the registration computer at M$. You can very likely use the same key on multiple computers, I've no doubt. I've done that for site licenses and etc, however if you're reformatting a computer, and it's already been activated, you can save the wpa files so you won't have to reactivate. You can't move the files due to the hardware signatures.

I had to go through 4 activations because I installed, flashed the bios and lost the date so it needed a whole new install. Then I activated, but decided to switch out my CDROM for a dvd drive so it freaked and needed a new code. Then, after that, I changed out a hard drive and it freaked again. Finally, I moved some ram around and it decided it didn't like that either so back I went to get a new code. For whatever reason, I had the house of cards of activation keys and all my hardware changes were nothing short of a hurricane to it.

Here are some reference links:

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/...qtwinxp0829.htm

http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

If my new cpu arrives today (opteron 146) I am planning to format my c drive and start from the fresh windows - already backed up everything I need. My questions are:

1) I have 1 IDE hdd (160 gb wd caviar) and planning to create 3 partitions c: 15gb, d:65gb, and e:80gb (for games only) - do you think it is OK?

2) For the nvdia drivers, which one I should use 6.53, 6.70 or a newer one? My hardware can be seen in my sig.

3) Just for confirmation, ide drivers are not recommended to install, right?

Thanks in advance for the input...

UPDATE: Question 4) I am going to use one round cable for my hdd + optical drive (lite-on sohc something cant remember) - what jumpers should I use - master/slave? Is there a possiblity not to boot into windows if I change the jumpers cuz I was using 2 different cables earlier for two ide slots, and lite-on was the secondary master, wd was the primary master... if Iremember correctly:rolleyes:

1) I have 1 IDE hdd (160 gb wd caviar) and planning to create 3 partitions c: 15gb, d:65gb, and e:80gb (for games only) - do you think it is OK?

That looks good to me. I have 15gb for the c:, I just use it for the operating system and drivers, so more than half of the space is left.

2) For the nvdia drivers, which one I should use 6.53, 6.70 or a newer one? My hardware can be seen in my sig.

I can't say and leave it to others to comment.

3) Just for confirmation, ide drivers are not recommended to install, right?

I don't think you can say it's a rule. For some, including myself, they work perfectly. Why some have encountered problems, I don't know.

You might want to reconsider the single cable idea. IDE limitations for CDROMs and hard drive are vastly different. Your result will be a slower hard drive especially when the cdrom is being accessed. Check here for some more info. I would advise two single-device 80 wire rounded cables and do the cdrom on interface 1, the hard drive on interface 0. Your IDE controller will thank you.

Why do you all insist on creating multiple partitions? I get that you want to save data, make things easier to reformat later, etc, and that's admirable, but if you've put your data in a single location, it shouldn't be a concern. In fact, you can reinstall windows on the same partition just by renaming the windows directory and changing the win.com filename. I've done that a bunch, so I'm able to reinstall on a single partition without a format and windows run clean. If you're really paranoid, you can even rename the dox and files directory, and the proggy dir. Those are the only three that windows creates and uses so just renaming them gets a clean install and once you're done installing a "new" windows, you can move those old directories to a single subdirectory so you needn't lose them.

Maybe I'm just misguided, but once I learned the wonders of HPFS, I left behind multiple partitions and, although fat32 isn't as good, it still doesn't have the limitations of fat so really, there's no technical reason for multiple partitions.

Thanks guys for the replies - hope rest of my questions will be answered also...

To be clear, I am not insisting on anything just trying to learn from more experienced users. I have been also using windows since 3.1 but never needed to partition, but it doesnt mean that I was/am right, hehe.

Thanks for the ide cables explanation, I would rather keep doing what I have been doing for last 8-10 years :)

Why do you all insist on creating multiple partitions?

Well there are two reasons:

1) Virus and spyware not only stores data on the Windows folders. A full C: format won't hurt at all. I know it can be stored in other partitions (rars, zips, docs, etc) but the usual is they don't look for other drive letters.

2) Future-proof: You can't delete the Windows folders (Windows, Program Data, Programs, Documents and Settings) in the latest Windows Vista 5270 Beta. There's some kind of index/file protection. I can't remember which message you get, but its new (not the "file is in use" you get sometimes).

For ooztuvner:

1) I think 15Gb is way too much. I have 10 and its half full.

2) Dunno, I use 6.70 with no problem

3) I've read they are slower than the Windows CD ones.

4) Agree with Kilamon, two 80 pin cables.