RAM only boots up in Slot after case swap

I dont get it, Ive had this rig up and running since around June, only to swap a few things out back in October and November with no issues. Last night I swapped over to a new case, and started it up. I get a memory issue with my OCZ RAM. I have 2 sticks of 1 GB in there, plus 2x512 upstairs that Ive tried as WELL as a single stick.

Well I can only get it to boot up in Slot #2 ( orange ) and if I install the other one, I get the memory error beep ( 1 long one ). I have swapped the stick out for the other OCZ to see if the other one was dead and it wasn't. I had this ram at 264 at 3-3-2-6 and 2.7 for a long time, and now I it all at stock settings and 2.7v. CPU is at default as well to make sure there are no OC issues. Nothing is overclocked, I loaded defaults as well, cleared the CMOS, but not for 10-15 minutes.

I dont see what could have happened, I didn even take the RAM out of MB when I did the swap, and right now it only will boot in the orange dimm.

Very frusterating, thanks for any help you can give me.

But why would only one of them work? I mean if it was a short wouldnt it not boot up at all or fry itself? Ive searched around and its almost like a cold boot issue.

What he meant was that the mobo might be shorting out because it is somehow making contact with the chassis. This is usually caused by a screw riser where there is no screw hole.

Make sure that the back of the mobo isn't shorting on the case.

Yeah I know what he means, but I only installed 9 stands for the 9 holes on the board. The thing I dont get is why it would cause an issue with only 1 of the slots working. You would think it wouldnt work at all.

Oh.

Well, then I would suggest swapping it back into the old case to see if both work in there if you can. If something shorted it could cause just one slot to work. If you can't find anywhere that it might be shorting on the chassis then I think you might need to RMA your mobo because it sure isn't your RAM from the sounds of it.

I suggested to set it up outside of the case because this is something you would do when troubleshooting a computer.. Especially when you started having problems AFTER changing the case..

Why is only one slot working.. ?

Beats the hell outta me.. You need to learn how to troubleshoot and not just say . If its shorting out something why is only one slot not working.. There are things with computers and even life that doesnt have much of an explaination to it.. But sometimes you need to at least try things before you write something (mobo) off as the problem..

GL with whatever you decide ..

I understand what you are saying, I just didnt know that shorting could cause only 1 slot to work, I figured it all went bad. I will try it outside of the case tonight and let you know. Ive been at work since 2 PST and took out the CMOS Battery, put on the clear CMOS jumper, and unplugged it from the wall before I left.

A range of issues may arise from a misplaced riser or short on the board. It just depends on where the short is taking place. In fact in my early days of building I made that mistake and 1 ram slot did not work. I suppose it depends on what and where the trace being shorted is located.

No its not dual channel. 1&3 or 2&4 is dual.

Maybe your bios got reset, and isn't supplying the correct voltage, or any of the other settings you had?

I would try a clear cmos (the official dfi way). And upon boot, have 1 stick in the furthest orange slot (#3?). Get into bios, and set all your settings, to where you know they worked before. save and exit, shut down, and insert other stick of ram in corresponding dual channel slot (#1?)