Newbie Build

BookemDano

Please Help,

I am a newbie,

I will be building this system for use with gaming, Home Media, video capture and editing.

I Want To Start Out Stock And maybe "OC Later.

I need some input about what I have picked.:confused:

If you suggest something please give me some reason why rather that only because its what you chose.

All The reading I have been doing I have some concerns mostly on the following.:confused:

Memory Modules, Video Card, Hard Drive, OS Maybe CPU Cooler

Everything looks good

Ram: DFI boards like the OCZ ram

Hard Drive: should be good there too

Vid Card: you may do better off, seems like those AIW cards often lose performace on both the graphics and the tunrer/capture in order to fit it on one card. Drivers can sometimes be buggy. (I have never actually had one of these cards just read several bad reviews) Another option may be to buy something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102646

About 99.9% of the people can unlock this card to 16 pipelines and approach X850 speeds. That card also has video capture capabilites but you could still get a separate(better) vide captue/tv tuner card. May even be cheaper in the end. This would also help the problem of you wanting to upgrade your videocard while keeping your tuner/capture capabilities.

OS not sure if the drive support is there yet its getting better. Should be ok for most of you main components like video and sound card, but i may be more difficult for other ad-on cards. Most programs are still being done for 32 bit. Most of the articles out there are saying that Microsoft is gonna try to push Windows Vista(Longhorn) as thier next major OS upgrade so it will probably stay 32 bit for a while. (Once again i've not personally used XP 64-bit) It just seems like right now you could save some headaces getting stuff(Hardware and software) to work by staying with 32-bit OS XP Pro

Hello,

Both of these are cheaper and good memory modules.

This one is rated 200Mhz but will OC to 250Mhz+ with 3-3-2-X timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231032

This one is rated 250Mhz, will OC over 250Mhz. with 3-4-4-8 timings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231021

Instead of the Expert board, why not get the ultra-D?

Do you stand tall on the memory issue based on my need or yours? That is not an adversarial question as I need your help and I have no idea.

Instead of the Expert board, why not get the ultra-D?

Well from what I understand the layout is not as tight.

I also understood that many bugs in the bios were not as prevalent with this board.

Is there something wrong with compatibility of my components and the Expert Board? I would appreciate your input.

I was going to use the .....DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Or was it

DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Now I don't remember... what's the difference again?

Below are Reviews from Newegg on the Expert Board

Pros: Very nice and stable motherboard out of the box. The temperature reading is accurate. The review below me doesn't understand that the motherboard's new layout helps lower the heat.

Cons: None for me at the moment

Other Thoughts: the HTT goes all the way to 500!!! and there is a built-in Memtest for testing your ram for errors before booting into windows. Very useful tool!

Pros: The great thing about this motherboard is the slick new design that is helping my CPU cool a lot more than before on my Ultra-D because my SOHO ANtec case has a hard drive fan at the exactly the right of the CPU heatsink, allowing fresh air to directly hit the CPU and drop the CPU temperature by 7-10 degrees. Plus it overclocks amzingly with the new and updated bios.

Cons: None. Period.

Other Thoughts: Get it this once it is available!

Pros: The LED indicators made themselves useful the first try! I had 2x512 OCZ gold ddr400 and had them in slot 1 and 3. Booted it up and 3 lights were on. I immediately looked at the manual and right away knew that the ram was suspect. Rearranged til I got the right config and bam! it was a gravy train with biscuit wheels after that! Built in power and reboot switches are a nice touch too. Im just starting to OC this baby, and the fun is just starting. You get what you pay for on this board so if you hobby is building killer rigs, this should be your board!

Cons: I believe that the chipset fan might be in the way for some vid cards out there. You should double check before buying!

Pros: PCI-E slots spacing allows better after market cooling for SLI setup.

Extremely stable.

Cons: Temperature reading for CPU is not accurate My temps are 22C on air while my room is 24C that is not possible

Other Thoughts: Exceellent board , I bought it mainly because my two GFX were getting mighty hot with the regular SLI-DR up to 85C in games, I added two NVsilencers thanks to the spacing between the PCI-E slots now it maxes out at 69C. Happy camper here , wish the CPU temp reading was accurate

Comments: Replaced my nF4 Ultra-D with this one... Can't get any better. No more SLI or 4v VDIMM jumpers. Everything is software controlled. Overclocking has become very easier and faster with "type in" HTT instead of selecting from the list and many more options. The most important things that VCore is a lot more accurate and the best of them all it runs at 1T timing with 4 sticks of memory. Go for it.

Well from what I understand the layout is not as tight.

I also undersstood that many bugs in the bios were not as previlant with this board.

The Ultra-D is one of the best motherboards made by man, many consider it to be the best motherboard for overclocking ever.

The Expert is fairly new and if you're worried about BIOS bugs, you would most likely enconter them with the Expert not the Ultra-D. The Ultra-D is almost perfect.

If you plan on using two massive graphics cards SLi in the future (like 2 7800GTX 512mb) then you should get the Expert but if not then just save the extra 100$ bucks and get the Ultra-D.

The Ultra-D is one of the best motherboards made by man, many consider it to be the best motherboard for overclocking ever.

The Expert is fairly new and if you're worried about BIOS bugs, you would most likely enconter them with the Expert not the Ultra-D. The Ultra-D is almost perfect.

If you plan on using two massive graphics cards SLi in the future (like 2 7800GTX 512mb) then you should get the Expert but if not then just save the extra 100$ bucks and get the Ultra-D.

See just when I thought I had it figured out.

I thought the memory modules I had picked would get icon14.gif the thumbs up!

I am not against saving some money. Do I have to tinker with the G.Skill as suggested more than the OCZ I had Picked?

I thought the mobo would too get icon14.gif the thumbs up!

I really do appreciate everyones input!

Ok ok I know that if I am going to overclock I should use the DFI boards. I am mostly worried about having trouble getting my board just to post. I really don't know when I want to try to OC . I just want the system to be killer and stable for video editing and gaming. I honestly don't care weather I run at 2.3, 2.4, 2.6 200 mhz or 240, or 260 etc I want stability.

I thought that this new expert would ship with the latest bios and I wouldn't have to worry about flashing it and the downloads etc.

Now what do I do?

Why should I do it.

Help. :sweat:

you want easy RAM to work with, get this:

2x1GB Muskin eXtremePerformance DDR500 (PC4000)

very, very easy to run at low voltage, easy to OC when/if you decide to.

I would also agree that non-Expert board might be best for you. If you are not OCing like crazy, you won't know any difference anyway. Expert is very, very new and that is usually when bugs occur. non-Experts are pretty much perfect right now, especially the Revision A.D.0