Anyone running 7800GTX not block sata

Sorrento, sorry I didn't include that fact in this thread, it was on a previous one. I have 2 sata 2's coming tomorrow and I want to raid0+1 off the NF4. I checked out the N-538-AX that HMF has and it looks like a good card, even comes with BF2, but it isn't sold on EVGA's site and I need to have one from an authorized reseller to qualify for the step up program. Any way the one I want is the N-527-AX with ACS3 and it is longer and does interfere. I built this in the early summer and put a MSI 6600GT in it and it"s been an excellent card so I might give them another try or just stick with the EVGA 7800GT N-516 I have coming and get in the step up program and see where things are at in 90 days. Again, thanks for all your help.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorrento..your picture is wrong. The end of the card barely reaches the sata port4.

Really? Hmm, well the picture of a 7800GTX I have has a perspective... it was hard to calculate because of that.

Also it is strange since I always thought the 7800GTX cards were quite longer than my 6800GT, which is exactly 1 mm from reaching the first SATA port which is the #3 I think (cable is blocking my view); then the 7800GTX is just 5 mm longer than my 6800GT's?

All this is important to know, since I always had the idea of upgrading to 7800GTX cards later... but not if I would have problems making them fit.

The boards on my 7800 GTX's extend past the SATA connectors but do not interfere with them.

The heatsink/fan would be a problem if it went that far, but it stops quite a bit short.

Not a problem!

Sorrento, your'e picture of HMF's card may have been wrong, but it illustrates the difference between the ACS3 and non ACS3 models. I cant have the ACS model because the extended heat shroud, or whatever you call it would totally block 2 of my ports. Cain't always get what you want.

Burley..if you wanted the additional cooling of Acs save your money for an artic cooler. From what I've read the Acs doesn't cool nearly as well as the AC rev 3. Also its a 2 slot cooling solution exhausting hot air out the back..unlike the Acs which exhausts into the case(i think).

I might have to go that route. I built this rig back in June, my first attempt, and everything came off without a hitch as well as raiding in XP and x64, due in part to living on this site. I've spent so much time here on the street I got a gag internet urinal in my christmas stocking from my daughter. I have a N-516 coming on friday, and that seems to be a pretty good 7800GT, so I'll probably go with that and step up later to the 512GTX and then go with a good aftermarket cooler. I've got my OCZ5002048ebpe-k coming tomorrow so that should keep me busy til my card comes. Thank's All.