Anyone running 7800GTX not block sata

Old guy here. Watercooling is a little out of my comfort zone, as well as cost and it's a living room computer. Thanks though. I have excellent airflow with this Tsunami especially with all sata, it's very clean, so heat isn't a hugh issue, I just figured it would be good if the card had better heat dissipation. Actually all my problems would be solved if I could create a Raid0 on 2 of my NF4 ports using my two new Seagate 160 Sata 2's and put my 2 Plextor's on 2 of the Sil3114 and create a mirror raid on the other 2 Sil3114 ports and put my 2 Seagate 250 Sata 1's on them. The only thing I want to do with them is put about 120gB of waves on them and other backup. It seems to me I tried installing the Sil3114 raid drivers when I was installing the raid0 on NF4 and it said I couldn't install them on NVATA bus. I'll have to check out whether it can be done. If it can I can have any card I want.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it doesn't sound too logical does it. I guess I don't understand why they give you 2 sets of ports and controllers if you can only set a raid on 1 at a time. I wanted the redundancy of raid1 for my music so I hopefully never have to rip all those cd's again, but i'm thinking about all I can do is put the old drives on the Sata Sil3114 ports (non-raid) and back them up between the drives as I go.

I dont get what the problem is? I have a leadtek 7800gtx and it doenst block the sata ports at all.. I have 2 Raptors in raid and then a 320gb sata II on the Sil ports. Dont forget that the nvida ports 1 &2 are not locked, so you cant use them when o/c. But the card fits fine..

I have teh danger den block on it now and there is deffinlty clearance..But whith the reference cooler it fit with out probblems..

The problem is that I know I'm going to want to move up to the 512 7800GTX and with the step up program and the lifetime warranty it's got me thinking I have to go with EVGA. and their cards in the series I want are very long and will block the sata ports. Even their regular 7800GTX's are really pushing it. So yea, I know it's doable with other 7800gtx's. Anyway this horse has been beat half to death, so i'll do what I always do, get what I really want and worry about all the raid crap later. Thanks Everyone.

Mine covers 2 of the SATA connecters, and it's in the PCI-E x16 slot. Doesn't appear that you could use them, since the card is about 1/8th of an inch from them...

... EVGA in the sig.

-Big Dan