g.skill TCCD doesnt like >2.5v (hit oc wall)

colelt1

I have tons of info from every step I took, at home so if you need it just ask me.

After a month of "burn-in" at stock volts and 2.22ghz, I overclocked from 1.35v to 1.55 with .025 increases (found the max 24hr stable for each one)

I have this memory:

http://www.gskill.com/f1-4800dsu2ff.html

I am in the middle of overclocking at have hit these numbers with a 9x mult

[email protected]

[email protected] (24hr stable)

2.5ish @ 1.525vcore kinda stable (8-12hrs)

2.5ish @ 1.55vcore kinda stable (8-12hrs)

I have hit a wall, I increase the core and dont get anywhere.

Right now all my other volts are as low as they can go, 1.2vltd , 1.5chipset, 2.5ram. Im a little over 2.5 ghz and can prime for 30 minutes then crash as a control point to work with.

I tried increasing LTD to 1.3 then 1.4, no help, then my chipset 1.6 then 1.7, no help... they all crash at 30 mins.

Vram at 2.53 crashes at 30 mins

vram at 2.6 crashes at 7 minutes

vram at 2.7 crashes at 1 min

vram at 2.8 crashes at 1 min.

This is my question for now: why is my ram supposed to run at 2.7-2.9 and will only run 2.5-2.6. If you look at the link provided above, you can see its clearly says 2.7-2.9v. And I have checked voltages with a DMM.

Temps are 38core, 42chipset, 55pwmic

I thought my PWMIC getting in the mid 50s were causeing the crash, so I put a small fan on it and got it into the mid 40s but it didnt help.

BIOS and Ram is set with everything on defaults besides voltages, and mults (ltd is on auto), and memory is set up for DDR600 specs (1t 2.5-4-4-8 from their website and the box it came in) 1:1 mult, even though im running DDR558, and I have had it 24hr stable at 298x7 at 1:1 to test the max bus and memory speed. Maybe my cpu just doesnt like 2.5ghz, and I will stick with 2.45ghz with lower volts.

I have removed the IHS off the processor, and am using artic silver cermaque, and have a tube AS5 coming in tomorrow and will see if it will help any.

Also my core 1 has never crashed its always core 0, and no matter what volts I use my cpu has never gone anything over 37-39 now, the only thing that goes up with voltages and speed is the PWMIC but the stock cpu fan mounted above it brought it down to mid 40s.

I started thinking about it and maybe its the memory controller and I need to go to 2T to see a difference, but I still dont have a full understanding of everything, but I put the memory on a 1:2 divider (ddr 276) and it still failed dual prime after 30 mins.

I am open to suggestions, but am going to Destin tonight and will be back saturday and apply the AS5 and see if it help any.

I have tons of info from every step I took, at home so if you need it just ask me.

After a month of "burn-in" at stock volts and 2.22ghz, I overclocked from 1.35v to 1.55 with .025 increases (found the max 24hr stable for each one)

I have this memory:

http://www.gskill.com/f1-4800dsu2ff.html

I am in the middle of overclocking at have hit these numbers with a 9x mult

[email protected]

[email protected] (24hr stable)

2.5ish @ 1.525vcore kinda stable (8-12hrs)

2.5ish @ 1.55vcore kinda stable (8-12hrs)

I have hit a wall, I increase the core and dont get anywhere.

Right now all my other volts are as low as they can go, 1.2vltd , 1.5chipset, 2.5ram. Im a little over 2.5 ghz and can prime for 30 minutes then crash as a control point to work with.

I tried increasing LTD to 1.3 then 1.4, no help, then my chipset 1.6 then 1.7, no help... they all crash at 30 mins.

Vram at 2.53 crashes at 30 mins

vram at 2.6 crashes at 7 minutes

vram at 2.7 crashes at 1 min

vram at 2.8 crashes at 1 min.

This is my question for now: why is my ram supposed to run at 2.7-2.9 and will only run 2.5-2.6. If you look at the link provided above, you can see its clearly says 2.7-2.9v. And I have checked voltages with a DMM.

Temps are 38core, 42chipset, 55pwmic

I thought my PWMIC getting in the mid 50s were causeing the crash, so I put a small fan on it and got it into the mid 40s but it didnt help.

BIOS and Ram is set with everything on defaults besides voltages, and mults (ltd is on auto), and memory is set up for DDR600 specs (1t 2.5-4-4-8 from their website and the box it came in) 1:1 mult, even though im running DDR558, and I have had it 24hr stable at 298x7 at 1:1 to test the max bus and memory speed. Maybe my cpu just doesnt like 2.5ghz, and I will stick with 2.45ghz with lower volts.

I have removed the IHS off the processor, and am using artic silver cermaque, and have a tube AS5 coming in tomorrow and will see if it will help any.

Also my core 1 has never crashed its always core 0, and no matter what volts I use my cpu has never gone anything over 37-39 now, the only thing that goes up with voltages and speed is the PWMIC but the stock cpu fan mounted above it brought it down to mid 40s.

Greetings,

I have identical Ram sticks as shown on the link that you mentioned. GSkill memories, especially the one you and I have, are very impressive. With 3.0 Volts, they are oscillating (reliably) @ 300MHz (2.5, 3, 3, 7 - 1T & 1:1 ratio).

If you are not at that speed, it's gota be something with your settings. Give it another try.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved:

At first I thought I had a problem with the ram, during my overclocking the processor (using the 10x240-250 mult) I was having problems with the ram. They are rated 2.7-2.9 but if I put over 2.5 to them, I would fail prime within 1 minute. Once I found my max OC (2.4ghz @ 1.45v and 2.5ghz @ 1.55v) I decided I would stick somewhere between 2.4-2.5, so I could use the 8x mult and keeps my vcore lower and have less heat (1.45v 31idle, 38 dual prime and 1.55 34c idle, 42c dual prime).

So I have been using the 2.5-4-4-8 (DDR600) timings "just in case" while overclocking and will tweak them as a final step, but I was having problems getting 8x250+. Then I tried increasing the Dram voltage again, even though at 10x230 would crash with anything over 2.6vram.

Here were my results:

2.5vram 200-250

2.6vram 250-296

2.7vram 296-304 (min rated vmem and the memory is rated to a max of 304)

2.8vram 304-? (305 crashed at 2.7v but became stable at 2.8v, may use this to tighen timings)

2.9vram ?-? (max rated vmem, If I set it to this, it crashes prime)

If I went to the min rated vmem (2.7) at stock clock, it would not be stable, so at stock speeds I was unstable until I dropped the vmem down to 2.5 (it was stable at 2.6 also, but it was more stable at 2.5)

Right now it is at 300x8 running prime on the 20th hour, when I get off of work it will be around hour 30.

2.5-4-4-8 1T

DDR600

2.4ghz 300x8

cpuv 1.5 (will drop it to find lowest stable volts.. around 1.45)

ltd 1.2

chipset 1.5

vram 2.7

I think I am going to stick with this speed, drop the cpu voltage to the lowest stable, then start tweaking all the 8billion ram timings, then start overclocking the vid card.