Orange vs. Yellow slots

I have read a couple of posts where it is recommended to put the RAM in the orange slots. Currently mine are in the yellow...and I was wondering why orange?

fargin' A...that prolly explains my OC instability!!!

I couldn't get crap outa my RAM unless I went to 2T. As soon as I hit 220 I got Memtest errors..cranked up the VDIMM and went 3-3-3-8 1T and nothing...changed to 2T and BAM, easily hit 250.

I'm going to switch it over to orange and re-test!

thank you so much!

i am in the process of building a very similar sig to yours.

have you been oc yet?

I have my 3800+ at 250x10 with 1.4vcore. I have tested higher, but I want to keep the temps down as I really don't want to listen to my HSF humming ALL the time :-/

Yesterday I started trying to OC the RAM (see above, and my other thread) and it's actually been 100x harder than the CPU. I hoping this information about the orange slots helps me out a little.

OK somthings gotta be cleared up.

This is what I read on this forum back a few months ago.

the answer to the question was "It depends on what bios you use, for instance 623 has 3 revisons. revision 1 is optimized for ram in the yellow slots, 2 for certian ram in the orange slots with diffrent optimizations, and 3 for diffrent ram with certian optimizations.

Board comes stock with 623-1 for me. So acording to that post I use yellow.

the manual says use the yellow slots that came with my mobo...

and I have had 2 sets of ram in this PC my OCZ platinum DDR533 stable all the way up to DDR600 @ 1T

and now I am using 2gb of mushkin DDR500 had it stable all the way up to DDR550 @ 1T

so are you 100% sure it needs to be 2T for stability?

keep in mind this is a high OC so I have checked it with memtest overnight, prime95 overnight, and of course countless hours of gaming at the highest settings possible... I had to set data/drive strenth to get DDR600 stable but other than that all was well.

For those using the Expert MB the Orange slots are the first ones that should be used, irrespective of the module type in use (BH/UTT/TCCx/UCCx). You will have better stability and be able to run 1T (as others have stated), only when you are running 4 modules that you will need to use the Yellow slots and CPC 2T.

Do make sure that you use only Expert BIOS versions and not those suggested for the 'older' nF4 MBs.

I have read a couple of posts where it is recommended to put the RAM in the orange slots. Currently mine are in the yellow...and I was wondering why orange?