Slowly degrading performance...

Well, things have been slowly.. slowing down lately, haha.

Had to draw the processor back to 2.65ghz (2.73 was rock solid for about a month, after installing FEAR and NFS:MW it started to crap out.. dunno why..). :(

I suppose this is just one of those things that happens when you overclock? I've tried tweaking my settings a bit to get back to 2.7ish, but it just doesn't want to be stable.

I'm still happy with anything above 2.6, seeing as that was my original goal when I bought this setup, but if you guys have any suggestions give me a shout. I'm also thinking about buying a new processor after the holidays. Probably a 3800+ X2 or a 3700+ 64, haven't decided yet. Keep in mind I'd be keeping the rest of the set-up as is.

I'm open to your thoughts, though (if you think you might have some insight as to how to get my cpu back to 2.73, or a good selection for a processor). Most of you guys know more than I do, so yeah. Lemme know. :)

Thanks guys

What maximum voltage did you apply on your CPU ?

Indeed, if the voltage was too high, the processor degrades itself very rapidly : it is no longer stable to highest frequencies and the performance is decreased when you test it with benchmarks.

I noticed that phenomenon with my previous 3700+ San Diego : overcloekd to 3.2 Ghz at 1.85 V, it was no longer stable at this frequency a few days ago and its benchmark performance was lower when I ran it at 3150 Mhz, after applying 1.85 V.