Fan's Do Not Work On Motherboard?!?!?!

Ok, I turned on my computer today, and for some reason, my 2 window fans did not turn on. I haven't touched them, and don't know whats going on. But when I turned it on, I smelled something bad, like something burned out. I took out the fans and tested them on the PSU, since they have both 3 pin and 4 pin connectors (which I would like to get rid of) and they both worked.

Whatever happened, happened between those 2 fans I think, because the other three fan connectors are working just fine (the ones that don't work are the 2 on the bottom under pci slots).

So, is it possible that somehow maybe the 4-pin connectors touched or something because I did move some things around last night; but I turned it off beforehand.

If these are shot, is there a way for me to fix it??? Or a way that I send it in to get fixed?

Thanks!

If you like to see my rig and how it's set up, its at :

http://www.putfile.com/s10man69

or if you want just images then,

http://www.putfile.com/s10man69/images

You had all of your fans plugged into motherboard headers? That is a big big no no, and highly recommended that you don't do that. It is likely that you have fried those two fan headers located below the PCI slots. That can easily be checked using a digital multimeter checking for voltage. In the mean time, I'd get the remaining fans off of the motherboard headers and connect them directly to your psu. If you want the ability to control fan RPMs, spring for a fan controller and run your fans from there.

So Basically, there's no way to fix it? So why in the heck do they even bother putting them on there? That is totally ridickulous! So they put the fan ports on there, but tell you not to use them? Cuz I've got no voltage across them at all...Will DFI repair that if I RMA the thing? I don't like having parts on my board that don't work...

Did you check how many v's your fans require, and how many total v's the dfi fan headers put out?

Well, they have been running with no problem for the last month since I set it up and had it running with no problems. I cleaned out my case and then when I turned it back on, they were no more.

What I think may have happened was the 4 pin connectors on the fan somehow touched, and shorted out, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to fix that?

I'm afraid you are in an RMA situation if you absolutely insist that all of your fan headers work. Other than that, if all of your other hardware appears to be working correctly, I'd forego the fried headers, get your remaining fans off of the m/b headers and chuck this up to a hard learned lesson. I've read around here that the DFI RMA policy is quite strict and can be a lengthy process before you are finally satisfied. I don't know that for myself as I've not had to request an RMA for any DFI products yet.

• 5 months later...
DFI rates the motherboard fan headers at 24watts.

Is that 24 watts total, or 24 watts for each connector?

My Fan 1 and Fan 2 controllers seem to have died, but fans 4 and 5 are pumping-out with no problems. Each are ThemalTake 120 mm SmartFan II (6 watts?).